Sophia's Reviews > Definitely Not Mr. Darcy

Definitely Not Mr. Darcy by Karen Doornebos

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, general-fiction, jane-austen-austenesque

A divorced, middle-aged woman with a failing business, little girl, and fading dreams needs to catch a break, but is the prize money from winning her 'Mr. Darcy' really the way to do it? Chloe Parker is about to find out when the Jane Austen documentary she thought she signed up for becomes another animal entirely. She's a challenger to win the hand of the wealthy Mr. Wrightman in a Reality TV show challenge. Too bad her eye strays toward the wrong Mr. Wrightman.

I had a good time with this standalone chick lit. The scenario of a game reality show with points for how well the ladies do at Regency Era accomplishments, deportment, fashion, and winning the eligible gentleman was too delicious for words. Of course there was the requisite conniving mean girl type and a host of mishaps for Chloe as she fumbled and bumbled her way through as modern woman trying to adjust to living two hundred years in the past. She does manage to catch the eye of both Wrightman brothers, but only the ineligible one for the prize stirs her.

Chloe has been a dreamer and left looking for something more most of her life. She believes in romance, Mr. Darcy, and the dream of living in a genteel Austenesque world, but the story shows her the stark reality when she gets to have what she's always wanted. You know what they say about getting what you want... She's an engaging heroine and I was rooting for her to win, but at the same time, I wanted her to open her eyes and really see what was going on rather than the illusion. It was obvious to the reader for a long time what the real deal was with the situation, but Chloe was on a journey of the heart and had to find her own way.

There are reflective times, humorous moments, sweet moments, and sad ones. I did feel that the story dragged in the middle and I just wanted to get on with the heart of the conflict which did happen in the latter section. I also wanted a little bit more at the end, but that was because I wanted to see more romance after all the earlier misunderstandings.

The author provided some fun side characters around Chloe and totally convinced me that I might enjoy a visit to Regency times, but I definitely am glad I don't live there. I found this a perfect light, summer read and can definitely recommend it to those who want a modern story not necessarily focused on romance with some humor and heartwarming along with the soul searching moments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Definitely Not Mr. Darcy.

November 23, 2014 – Shelved
June 25, 2018 – Started Reading
July 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa This sounds absolutely delightful! I'll keep it in mind to read myself.

Sophia Tarissa wrote: "This sounds absolutely delightful! I'll keep it in mind to read myself."

Crossing my fingers that you like it, Tarissa!

message 3: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett I loved this finding Mr. Wright story... I read this years ago and loaned my paperback copy to a colleague... it never made its way back to my bookshelf. Oh well. I'm glad you liked it too.

Sophia J. W. wrote: "I loved this finding Mr. Wright story... I read this years ago and loaned my paperback copy to a colleague... it never made its way back to my bookshelf. Oh well. I'm glad you liked it too."

It was definitely a fun one, Jeanne. So frustrating not to get books back. I confess that I'm a bit of a miser with my paper copies. :)

Kelsie Glad you enjoyed! I really love Karen Doornebos' writing.

Sophia Kelsie wrote: "Glad you enjoyed! I really love Karen Doornebos' writing."

It was my first time. Now I need to read Undressing Mr. Darcy. :)