Bry's Reviews > Perchance to Dream

Jul 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, young-adult, fantasy
Read from August 09 to 20, 2010

Not sure what happened here. The first book was so good! So so good! But this one just...completely feel flat for me.

Bertie was actually annoying me in this book and to be honest I can't even figure out why. To me some things that were so obvious was a mystery to her, and her emotions didn't always make sense to me. Ariel never convinced me of his goodness. I did believe in his love for Bertie but I didn't buy that he was any less selfish than in the first book. I believed one of the other characters take on Ariel - that he would give his life for Bertie, but that didn't mean Bertie wouldn't die alongside him.

One issue with the book though was the vague segways. Bertie would float back in forth between reality, dreams, and the otherworld. And the actions and consequences from each would bleed into the others so it all becomes reality yet isn't. Another issue, was the love triangle. The conclusion of it was just such a cop out to me. But maybe that is just because I think one is more worthy than the other. Usually I do like the bad boy but not this time. I just don't trust the bad boy this time.

Anyways, this book just wasn't for me. I do still want to read the 3rd book though. Hopefully I will enjoy it much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perchance to Dream.

08/09/2010 page 65
08/09/2010 page 65
17.0% "She finds her father in the first 4 chapters. Really?? And damn I love the fairies. They are they best parts of these books!"
08/11/2010 page 94
24.0% "Just not getting sucked in this time around. And Bertie is really annoying me in this book so far. Hope it gets better!"
08/19/2010 page 226
59.0% "The 1st book was so good - this one...meh. I'm skimming most of it. Was Bertie this off in the first book? Were the segways this vague?"
06/29/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana The blond boy on the cover is quite dashing though. Is it this Ariel?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey Bry! I think I gave this one a few more stars than you but I absolutely agree about Bertie - she did get kind of annoying! And I totally agree about the love triangle "resolution" too!

message 3: by Bry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bry Tatiana - Yep that's Ariel! And the brunette in the background is Nate.

Amelia - I just kept rolling my eyes at her the whole time which was just odd because I adored her in the first book. And that 'resolution' just made me scoff. What a left down for readers. I was expecting Bertie and Nate to escape and then spend the 3rd book saving Ariel and finally beating Sedna. It was just so anticlimactic this way.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

i usually love books with characters named ariel.

but not this series, unfortunately.