Milly's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

If you enjoy reading about mythology, magic, supernatural beings, and learning about new cultures and folklores of other countries, and in this case New Zealand's, this is your cup of tea. And if you like reading about strong heroines and young adult romance, then you definitely need to grab this book.

The book is about Ellie, a teen attending a boarding school in New Zealand. In her obsession with a mysterious guy in school, Ellie finds herself with potential magical abilities and becomes involved in a war between faeries. Although I found the book a little slow to start due to character and plot development, the action packed into the pages starting in the middle of the book more than made up for it. I have to admit though that the foreign words and concepts slowed me down here and there as I had to look to the Glossary section of the book for explanation. Thank God for the Glossary! Nevertheless, the book was full of humor, interesting tidbits and culture, and heart breaking moments that put tears in my eyes that I'm sure I'll be remembering Ellie and Mark for a very long time.

For a new author, Karen Healy did a wonderful job weaving such a memorable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.

Quotes Milly Liked

Karen Healey
“Stories change us; they change the world. People are stories of themselves.”
Karen Healey, Guardian of the Dead

Karen Healey
“You knew what I was," he said, taking his hair back from his face, eyes wild with the will to make me believe. "You knew that my face is a lie, just pretending to be human. And you still wanted me, you could touch me, you could see what I am, the only one who knew and wanted me all the same, and you said I wasn't a --" his chest hitched. "Not a monster. I was going to tell you, and then I thought, well, I'm probably going to die in the underworld, so why can't I have this until then? I'm the stupid one; not you. I'm so sorry.”
Karen Healey, Guardian of the Dead

July 12, 2010 – Shelved
August 27, 2010 – Started Reading
August 29, 2010 – Finished Reading
September 1, 2010 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Nic (new)

Nic Good review. I have this on my shelf somewhere. I will have to give it a try soon.

Milly Thanks! I hope you'll like it!

Wren [t(he)y] Is this LGBT?