Veronica of V's Reads's Reviews > Hard Act to Follow

Hard Act to Follow by K. Vale

bookshelves: adult, contemporary, fun-fast-read, hot, male-male, quick-read, scorching

This is the third book in the Shooting Stars series and I have read all of them. They are all set with different characters, however, and the stories barely intersect, so it's not required to read in sequence.

Kyrie is an out gay man. He's just graduating from college as a theater major, and had previously been featured as the *possible* romantic interest of an aging rocker, Gio Savale, making a comeback and a reality TV show in book two of the series, Double Takes. His ex-brother-in-law, Greg was also a part of the book.

Greg is an attorney who has burned his candle at both ends to make junior partner. It probably cost him his marriage to Kyrie's elder sister, Jasmine. They had an amicable divorce, however, and Greg is still close with their family--he's an extremely close friend of Kyrie's which makes things uber-awkward that he's also frighteningly attracted to Kyrie. Romantically.

See, Greg's not gay. Well, he's never been gay. So this attraction, which has been building a long time, is REALLY confusing. And, he doesn't want to upset Jas and Kyrie's parents--they've been more of a family to him than his own. So he simmers in shame, and begins to stop taking Kyrie's calls, digging himself deeper into work in order to avoid him.

It doesn't work. Good for Kyrie! Because Greg's slick-lawer-speak gets Kyrie out of the clutches of his lecherous, abusive college adviser and into a non-glamorous job as general stage help and in a shiny new locale several hours from Boston: NYC.

Of course, their drunken hook-up muddies things. Or, does it? Greg recognizes his workaholic life is not part of his longterm plan. He hates all the long hours and would gladly give them up for more time with Kyrie--who is pretending he doesn't remember their night together.

Lookit, this is a romance. And things get really romantic. The occasion of their reunion is tragic, but their chemistry--once they get the medical okay--is totally organic. And incendiary.

Kyrie and Greg are a good couple, if they can get past their selflessness. Greg was willing to stay away from Kyrie to not make life weird in Kyrie's family, and Kyrie was willing to shun Greg so he could advance at his law firm--but it turns out neither of these sacrifices were necessary. Yay for us, because this is a super hot, sexy read!

I enjoyed Kyrie's playfulness, and Greg's steadfastness. I was SO glad he woke up and fixed things before Kyrie got into further trouble with his old prof.

This whole series has been well-written. I enjoyed the small cameos of characters who recur in the books, and hadn't noticed any that could make a fourth book, here. So, I guess this is it.... *shoulders slump*

I received a copy of this book via Goodreads' Don't Buy My Love program in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Act to Follow.

Started Reading
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: male-male
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: quick-read
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: scorching
November 23, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kimber (new) - added it

Kimber Vale Thanks for the lovely review, Veronica! I'm (slowly) working on a Shooting Stars 3.5 so Greg and Kyrie can tie up some loose ends and I can introduce the MC for book 4. :-)

Veronica of V's Reads Aha! I wondered.... Thanks much for the book. Will likely blog about the series in the next week or two. I'll shout you out then. :)

message 3: by Kimber (new) - added it