Hat of Nikitich's Reviews > Curious Myths of the Middle Ages: The Sangreal, Pope Joan, The Wandering Jew, and Others

Curious Myths of the Middle Ages by Sabine Baring-Gould

Jul 12, 2010

did not like it
Read in July, 2010

This work does its best to discredit original folklore and mythologies by claiming they were naught but a bad influence on the later 'purified,' Christianized versions so heavily employed by the Church to lure a more pagan following into the pews. In fact, the author asserts their influence should have been purged from the Church, that it would have been better they be forgotten than their heathen origins taint an innocent flock.

Barf.

I know it's from the 1890s, I get that. But everything about the authorship, from the lazy scholarship to the rabid Antisemitism, is terrible, and I felt dirty mining the few gems I did from it. I can't damn it as much as I'd like, because it did at least preserve those few things, and when it wasn't proselytizing for the Catholic Church it was even interesting, no matter how reluctant it would seem be.

Stupidest Part: wherein the author randomly determines Protestantism is keeping alive various heathen practices and goes on to plainly announce Methodism as a sham cover for druidism. I can't make this shit up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curious Myths of the Middle Ages.