Karen's Reviews > Blue Eyed Pop: The History of Popular Music in Iceland

Blue Eyed Pop by Dr. Gunni

bookshelves: music, nordic-scandinavian-etc, 2019_in_40

Named after the Sugarcubes song of the same name, Blue Eyed Pop covers the start of 'popular' music in Iceland which evolved early 20th century, through to the books publishing year of 2013, it covers everything from how various instruments were introduced to the country, to the influence of the American airbase at Keflavik and the inimitable country balls that so many artists have cut their teeth over the years.
For me the pace really picked up covering the period of the late 70's as this is when recognisable names start to come to the fore (artists that are still playing live, releasing records such as Bubbi Morthens).
Obviously there's a lot about Björk in the book, given that she released her first album at the age of 11, and being arguably Iceland's most successful artist, but it also gives plenty of weight to newer bands such as Sigur Rós and múm etc..
The book has a lot in the way of facts: how many records each artist/album sold, venue history, who was in what band when and some amazing photos to go with them! It really shows what I think is the uniqueness of Iceland's music scene, that an artist can be involved in multiple bands/projects at a time which can appear strange in a world of Western pop music where there is usually some acrimonious split in a band caused by creative differences. I've witnessed this phenomena myself at Iceland Airwaves, seeing a performer 5+ times across the festival, in 3 or 4 different bands/line ups. Airwaves of course gets a fair mention, being the Glastonbury of Iceland, sans mud of course.
The only thing missing from this book is a 2018 update, the music scene and artists of Iceland finally getting the attention and success they deserve abroad.
My only niggle with the book is that particularly in the last 4-5 chapters there are several mistakes missed by the publisher/proof reader, but I think they could be overlooked for the sheer joy the book brings. In the back there is a list of useful websites for experiencing some of the artists mentioned, and it was good to see that Dr Gunni's website is still holding the fort with these

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Eyed Pop.

November 22, 2014 – Shelved as: music
February 11, 2019 –
page 135
February 13, 2019 –
page 172
77.83% "It’s getting incredibly exciting, I even accidentally threw the book at a random man on the bus"
February 14, 2019 –