Rebekah's Reviews > Climbing the Stairs

Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman

liked it

This novel is an interesting look back into the society and culture of India during World War II as told from the perspective on an ambitious young woman. It is Vidya’s progressive personality which helps to make the novel more relatable than it otherwise would be. Think Lizzy Bennet in Pride and Prejudice, that novel continues to be the most well known of Austen’s work not only because of the romance but because Lizzy is a protagonist who transcends her time period. The two actually have a lot in common. Like Lizzy, Vidya would rather read than be in an unhappy marriage. I enjoyed the perspective into India during this time period, because I hadn’t really had any exposure to it previously, so it made for a refreshing change. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in this setting and also to anyone interested in learning more about the progression of feminism around the world and within the last century. Many of the things expected of Vidya are completely shocking to today’s audience, but this was the reality at the time. Give it a read if you think the setting or the topic might be up your street.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Climbing the Stairs.

Finished Reading