Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Yes Please

Yes Please by Amy Poehler

Nov 22, 2014

bookshelves: audio, celebrity, essays, humor, leisure, memoir, non-fic, time-travel, tv, women

So, this is pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be. If you liked Bossypants and/or Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, then chances are you will like this one, too. Amy seems waaaaayyyy less straight-edge than Tina, so some of the details are "juicier," but she definitely seems to value her privacy regarding some parts of her life; there is very little pertaining to her divorce from Will Arnett, aside from saying she doesn't want to talk about it.

I always get a little sad reading books like these, because it reminds me that I want to be an entertainer and probably won't be, and Amy Poehler gets to hang out with Kathleen Hanna and I don't, and stuff like that.

So yeah, this book is funny, but there are also some serious parts; in some ways it seems a bit like a collage, jumping back and forth through time, self contained events cobbled together to make a picture of Amy Poehler.

The audio is amazing. It's read by Amy, of course, and she also gets several celebrity guests to read with her, which is really cool.

If you were interested in this book at all, I think it will deliver exactly what you wanted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Please.

July 13, 2014 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
July 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (ebook Edition)
November 22, 2014 – Started Reading