Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The drop

The drop by Dennis Lehane

liked it
bookshelves: read-2014

This is the first Dennis Lehane book I read that doesn't star Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. The Drop is based on a novella called Animal Rescue that was turned into the movie The Drop which Lehane wrote the script for and then turned into this book.

All and all was this a good book. Bob is an ordinary guy, a bit too ordinary for my liking I thought when I read the book. He works at the bar, goes to church every Sunday, but it was finding the puppy that really changed his life, made him suddenly snap out of his monotone life. I mistook him throughout the book for being a too soft guy, but then the ending come and then I realized that the person you should be worried about was not Eric Deeds, the psycho who claimed to own the puppy, but Bob, the kind, and shy bartender...

So this book gets 3.5 stars. It was not as good as other Lehane books I have read, and it would have been just 3 stars if not Lehane had turned the table and made the ending quite spectacular.

(I love Tom Hardy with the puppy so just one more pic)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The drop.

November 21, 2014 – Started Reading
November 21, 2014 – Shelved
November 22, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 23, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Andrew Smith I have this to read but I keep seeing average reviews, so it's getting buried deeper in the pile. Btw, I think the author's best books are not the Kenzie/ Gennaro ones but Shutter Island and Mystic River, both of which I loved.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Oh, I was wondering about this one, since I've loved Patrick and Angie novels so much. I guess I'll go with lower expectations (but glad to see it's still good). Great review!

Andrew Smith Actually, when I got around to reading it I liked it. Not his very best (Shutter Island and Mystic River take some beating) but pretty good.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘ wrote: "Oh, I was wondering about this one, since I've loved Patrick and Angie novels so much. I guess I'll go with lower expectations (but glad to see it's still good). Great review!"

It's good...but not as good as the Patrick and Angie books! ;)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Andrew wrote: "Actually, when I got around to reading it I liked it. Not his very best (Shutter Island and Mystic River take some beating) but pretty good."

Yeah, it's a good book. But I have read better Lehane books, still I really liked the ending of this book because I did not expect that!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy I love Tom Hardy too!