Antof9's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Jul 12, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010-read, americana, animals, bbc-barely-a-book-club, depressing, fathers, made-me-cry, wanna-change-the-ending
Read in July, 2010

Another Lousy Oprah's Bookclub Book

I remember when Oprah was promoting this one on her show, and I remember thinking, "that's another one I won't bother with". In my experience, everything she chooses for her book club is depressing or worse.

But then *my* book club wanted to read it, and I couldn't get away from it. I even tried putting it off because it was still only in hardback and the paperback wasn't coming out for several months. In addition, the waiting list at the library was many many patrons long, so I couldn't get my hands on it for *ages*.

All that to say, I thought I'd conveniently gotten out of it when The Biblioracle recommended I read it and then I got an email from the library that it was my turn! I was clearly destined to read this book.

So I will say this -- the author, like the author of "Marley & Me" -- did a great job of making a non-dog-liker like dogs. Seriously, I really am not a fan of dogs (my mom passed on to me the hereditary gene of Being Afraid of Dogs), and when I find a book or a movie that makes me like them, or be impressed by them, or at least not be afraid of them and be able to enjoy the story, I know it's been done well.

But. The END! Oh, the end. I hated it. It was horrid and ruined the whole book for me. I just didn't understand the author's motivation or point. I won't give any spoilers, but let's just say the ending pissed me off. Really, I'm not sure what the author wanted me to think or believe or feel. I felt manipulated in a bad way, and am getting wound up again as I write this.

I marked a couple of spots in the book to refer back to or quote, but when I turned to them I couldn't even find the section I'd been caught by. I also marked another section where I wanted to talk about my dad, but that too gives away something, so I'll just leave it at: there are definitely parts of the Human Experience that this author gets, and handled well.

Also? I really liked Henry. I hope he gets a nice girl :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

11/03/2016 marked as: read