Liralen's Reviews > Heart and Salsa

Heart and Salsa by Suzanne   Nelson

Nov 21, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: z-2014, travel, ya, reviewed, fiction

This is the twelfth S.A.S.S. book -- out of fourteen -- that I've read, but, oddly enough, it's the first one I've read in which the protagonist has a decent grasp of the language of the country where she's headed. (Excepting, of course, the books taking place in English-speaking countries...) Points to Cat, the Mexican-bound heroine, for actually caring about things like other languages.

By and large enjoyable, with a heroine who's willing to admit her mistakes and who is genuinely enthusiastic about the work she's doing. I do want to know how it's possible that a decent Boston high school wouldn't offer Spanish, though. And why Cat promises to pronounce Itzel's name right and then refers to her as Izzie for the rest of the book. There's an interesting dynamic between Cat and Sabrina, though; it's very realistic in the sense of them drifting apart due to one's relocation, and also in the role Brian plays. (Loved it when Cat questioned whether Brian was as one-dimensional as he seemed -- would have loved it even more if he hadn't been.)

As an aside: It is not possible to go more than about a page and a half without one or more character smiling, grinning, or laughing -- or all three. (They also do a lot of sighing and giggling.) While I'm thrilled that they're so happy, it grates. Reminds me, painfully, of the way Anastasia Steele whispers, murmurs, and breathes most of her dialogue.

Still, it's entertaining, and there's a lot of Spanish, and glory hallelujah I even understood most of it without the translations. Hurray.

More general look at the series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart and Salsa.

Finished Reading