Ryan's Reviews > The Communist Manifesto

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

Dec 27, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: politica scientist students

A good read on nonsensical political theory. Easy to understand, impossible to continue in real world conditions.

I find it funny that the people who talk about him being a such a great philosopher are the ones he wanted to dethrone. The majority of which have been raised in american excess and have never picked up a shovel and used it for more than backyard gardening. All of you who say they truely believe in collectivism really ought to try it out just like the hippies did in the 70's, how many of them are still around, probably the same amount as the number of countries that still practice marxist communism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Communist Manifesto.

Started Reading
January 1, 2002 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2007 – Shelved

message 1: by Hedel (new) - added it

Hedel I was poor as a child and now I'm middle class. I belong to the demographic dual income professional with no children :) I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my willingness to pay higher taxes to provide a better infrastructure and more social programs.
Then again I'm in Canada where everyone is covered by health care.

The other day someone stepped on my toe pretty hard. The other person ran into the subway and accidentally stomped my toe. I thought it might be broken but I kept going about my day.
Had it been broken I would have casually seen my doctor, gone to the hospital and got it fixed. In the US, you would need to track down the other individual to sue him to cover the health care costs, or you could call your health insurance provider gone through your own set of hoops.
I believe in a mixed economy with infrastructure, social programs, health, education, security, run by the government.
Government bodies overseeing the self-regulating bodies that oversee manufacturing, financial markets, labour, resources, etc..

Government should also be taking royalties on resources. Why should a Chinese or even an American company take resources without paying royalties to the three levels of government, local, state, federal.
The funds reinvested into the nation through infrastructure, health, etc.