Liralen's Reviews > The Sound of Munich

The Sound of Munich by Suzanne   Nelson

Nov 20, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: z-2014, fiction, travel, ya, reviewed

And we're off to Munich, where yoga-happy, California-girl Siena is spending a semester...and maybe, just maybe, finding the man who helped her father escape post-war Germany.

Who am I kidding? It's YA fluff; of course she finds him. But it's a sweet story, and Siena is pretty likable. It was a sad, sad day when she chose studying over socializing, she says (147), but despite her inability to keep her head tied on, she's not a birdbrain -- just scatterbrained. She's rational about The Boy, for one, and not going to gouge another girl's eyes out just because she's interested as well. Loved her use of 'foxymoron' ('all looks, no substance'), and the other exchange students are fun -- "We haven't even started the semester yet and you're plotting subversive activities," Chen said. "Impressive. Stupid, but impressive" (43). Although -- Chen's a surname, yes? Didn't authors learn their lesson from the Cho Chang debacle?

The author does pack lots of cultural stuff in for the characters (including a Sound of Music tour...and a discussion about the feminism, or not, of the movie), which, in especially in this series, I appreciate. Not sure why the students aren't supposed to leave the city on their own but it's perfectly okay for them to stay out until the wee hours of the morning, though. Or how nobody notices when they do leave. Or how Siena manages to go from stumbling over the simplest German words to apparently fluent German in, what, ten weeks?

But hey. It was fun. The next one on my list is by the same author, so I'm hopeful that it'll be a decent read too.

More general look at the series here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Munich.

Finished Reading