Sara's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-novels, borrowed-reads, fantasy, multiple-povs, paranormal-romance, just-ok, young-adult

Wicked Lovely was one of those books I didn't have high expectations for (I wouldn't have picked it up if it weren't for my fairy novel "market research" project), but actually wasn't too bad. It follows Aislinn, a teenage girl who possesses the Sight, the ability to see faeries who are invisible from other humans. Eventually the young Summer King, Keenan, and his Winter Girl companion Donia begin pursuing Aislinn, throwing her into a centuries-old conflict between the Summer and Winter Courts. The only solution: To crown a new Summer Queen who can help Keenan regain his power. Aislinn might be his only hope, but she's determined not to lose the life she knows. School, her grandmother, her best friend Seth, her own dreams for the future - how can Aislinn sacrifice everything she holds dear for the Fae?

In all honesty, I went into Wicked Lovely prepared for a love triangle and other reasons why I avoid YA paranormal romance. What I found, though, was a dark, alluring tale that embraces gothic and punk rock cultures (body art, clothes / jewelry, hard rock music, etc.). This gave the story a gritty, atmospheric feel unlike other modern fairy stories I've read. The main characters were likable for the most part, too. Seth's tattoos and piercings contrasted his sweet, nurturing persona; and Donia's once-mortal backstory and divided loyalties made her conflicted and compelling. Keenan, though... *groans* He's so arrogant and out-of-touch with everyone that I wished someone would slap him (which never happened, unfortunately).

The other issue I had with Wicked Lovely was its predictable plot. Its ending was too convenient, and I wasn't thrilled when I learned I'd guessed it correctly about 100 pages earlier. Had there been more surprised, I would have given the book a higher rating. But I'm content that Wicked Lovely was at least an interesting read, even if it was a bit gossamery for my taste.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.

November 19, 2014 – Shelved
November 19, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 19, 2014 – Shelved as: fairy-novels
February 6, 2016 – Started Reading
February 6, 2016 –
page 55
16.77% "Borrowing this from the library as part of my fairy novel "market research" project. Not a bad start so far!"
February 8, 2016 –
page 140
42.68% "Still liking this a lot more than I was expecting. Though Keenan creeps me out. I kinda hope Aislinn doesn't fall for him..."
February 9, 2016 –
page 230
70.12% "I'm not sure I like where this is going..."
February 9, 2016 –
page 288
87.8% "Please don't tell me my final rating of this book now totally hinges on the ending.... :/"
February 11, 2016 – Finished Reading