Nancy's Reviews > My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead: Great Love Stories, from Chekhov to Munro

My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead by Jeffrey Eugenides

Jul 10, 2010

it was ok

Opinions on the quality of the writing aside, the apparent definition of love by the compiler and the authors tells me more about them than I wish to know. Apart from a fraction of the stories, the stories have nothing to do with love and more to do with infatuation (if the reader is lucky), lust, narcissism, unadulterated selfishness, and a complete lack of awareness of the other person in their "relationship". Immaturity as a characteristic is a relief in these essentially unrelenting depressing stories.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, no, OBVIOUSLY I was expecting too much. Throw the names of Chekhov and de Maupassant, etc. onto the cover and I thought to be served a somewhat richer and more complex fare, which they indeed managed, but most of the others simply failed to deliver.

Finishing this book was NOT a labour of love. That aside, some of the stories stood up on their own merit "Some Other, Better Otto","Jon", "Fireworks", "The Bear came Over the Mountain". I will also point out that "Innocence" was a 34 page story, of which 20 was the mechanics of a single sex .... act, yawn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead.

Started Reading