Susan's Reviews > Blood Done Sign My Name: A True Story

Blood Done Sign My Name by Timothy B. Tyson

Jul 10, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Not a typical beach read - but it had been languishing in my 'to read' pile for too long after Mom loaned it to me. So sitting on the lanai in Hawaii, I was transported back to 1970s eastern North Carolina. You're probably thinking about the outer banks and how much we loved driving down, stopping to get tomatoes, corn, peaches and BBQ on our way through. At that same time horrible acts of racism were still taking their toll on communities, even resulting in senseless murder. I'm certain similar things were happening all around me growing up in Virginia, but I only remember the civil rights events that made the news and impacted us personally somehow. The author tells his story from journalistic, historic and personal perspectives. I felt like he was sitting next to me, probably with glass of whiskey in hand, telling the all-too-true story about people who not only didn't see another set of people as equal, but were empowered to act accordingly. If we keep telling and listening to these stories, can we keep them from happening again?

In a strange twist it turns out Mr. Tyson was arrested in Raleigh, North Carolina, for second degree trespassing while protesting new school district policies...while I was reading this book in my safe surroundings. I think the author is a hero for actively telling these tales again and again and again. (http://www.wral.com/news/education/st...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Done Sign My Name.