Lynn Beyrouthy's Reviews > Fateful Triangle: The United States, Israel and the Palestinians

Fateful Triangle by Noam Chomsky

liked it
bookshelves: politics

A real eye-opener, especially for the American audience bathed in Zionist-sponsored media brainwashing.
For Chomsky, it is important for the American taxpayer to know that he is funding the systematic annihilation of a people, a culture, a heritage, any echo of Palestinian nationalism without even being aware of the gravity of the situation, and to protest against the murder of children in Gaza is hypocritical of Americans for that very reason.
As long as the U.S. sees in Israel a strategic asset in the Middle East to conduct the "dirty work" on its behalf, a fateful triangular relationship will tie the United States, Israel and the Palestinians in the most complex and bloody conflict that ever shook the Middle East.

I have many dog-eared pages, so I'm just gonna choose my favorite selections from them in an attempt to capture the gist of the message Chomsky was trying to convey:

An Israeli army officer, "when asked why bulldozers were knocking down houses in which women and children were living," responded by saying: "they are all terrorists." His statement accurately summarizes Israel's strategy and the assumptions that underlie it, for many years.

In Copenhagen, Knesset Member Yosef Rom told a television audience "that Israeli soldiers were greeted in Lebanon with flowers and rice." The interviewer interrupted him with the following words: "Do not tell us in Denmark about flowers and rice. Nazi Germany also had pictures of how the Danish people greeted the April 1940 conquest with flowers..."

One Palestinian boy was reported to be sitting on a Haddad Land Rover, his cheeks slashed by bayonets, forced "to reiterate his crime, 'I am a Palestinian'," before being killed.

Dr. Shlomo Shmelzman wrote a letter to the press announcing his hunger strike in protest against the Lebanon war:
"In my childhood I have suffered fear, hunger and humiliation when I passed from the Warsaw Ghetto, through labor camps, to Buchenwald. Today, as a citizen of Israel, I cannot accept the systematic destruction of cities, towns, and refugee camps. I cannot accept the technocratic cruelty of the bombing, destroying and killing of human beings.
I hear too many familiar sounds today, sounds which are being amplified by the war. I hear "dirty Arabs" and I remember "dirty Jews." I hear about "closed areas" and I remember ghettos and camps. I hear "two-legged beasts" and I remember "Untermenschen." I hear about tightening the siege, clearing the area, pounding the city into submission and I remember suffering, destruction, death, blood and murder... Too many things in Israel remind me of too many things from my childhood."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fateful Triangle.

November 18, 2014 – Shelved
November 18, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 3, 2015 – Started Reading
February 3, 2015 –
page 90
February 7, 2015 –
page 180
31.14% ""The religious settlers in the West Bank, operating freely with Army support, take pride in creating a pogrom-like atmosphere among the Arabs. 'We enter a village, shoot a bit at windows, warn the villagers and return to the settlement. We don't kidnap people, but it can happen that we catch a boy who had been throwing stones, take him back with us, beat him a bit and give him over to the army to finish the job'""
February 12, 2015 –