Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > The Mussel Eater

The Mussel Eater by Octavia Cade

bookshelves: dark-fantasy, short-story

This is another short story published by The Book Smugglers, and I really enjoyed it.

Karitoki is fascinated by the Pania he has come to think of as his own. They spend a lot of time together and he loves to look at her, and touch her scaled flesh. Pania is different in other ways. She's strong, has sharp teeth and nails, plus she refuses to eat cooked food.

No matter how hard Karitoki tries to tempt her with his sweet and sour cooking skills, she refuses to eat the mussels he cooks. But she does use the oil and butter on her skin, even if fish oil is her favourite.

Karitoki has his sights set on Pania and is convinced she likes him and will be loyal to him, even though he secretly seeks to entrap her.

I got swept away in this story right away. It was well written and threw me right into Karitoki and Pania's story. At first, I wasn't sure about his motivations, but the more he tried to entice her with cooked food, the more obvious it became.

I have to admit that I like stories where the real predator is hard to spot. Some are predators by nature, but others by choice.

Great story!

You can read the story here: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2014/11/t...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mussel Eater.

November 18, 2014 – Shelved