Julie's Reviews > Death Logs In

Death Logs In by E.J. Simon

bookshelves: e-book, mystery-shelf

Death Logs In by E.J. Simon is a 2014 Simon/Zef publication.

If you thought Death Never Sleeps was a doozy, wait till you get a load of this one.

After reading the first book in this series, I wondered what direction the story would take in the sequel. Well, the one thing I had feared would happen to Michael comes to fruition. While Michael attempts to keep one foot in the corporate world, it's his brother's legacy that really has his heart, body, and maybe even his soul.
The story starts off with the chilling announcement by “Alex” that Michael is on a hit list. This prompts him to hire a bodyguard who happens to be a sexy woman.
In the meantime, Michael deals with his “day job” which has his neck on the line, his visits with his brother, his wife's increasing annoyance with him, and his brother's widow and former business associates, all while discovering his bodyguard is not too stable. Needless to say Michael begins to question his choices but seems helpless to put the brakes on and return to his nice quiet life.

Often times it happens that a sequel has a very difficult time living up to the original novel since we now have a certain expectation. This book however, not only measured up to the first one, but actually topped it, in my opinion. Trust me, there was never a dull moment in this one. Sometimes I felt sorry for Michael and sometimes I wanted to kick his butt. What was he thinking??? Alex is still an enigma and there are many avenues yet to explore with this thread. Most of the quirky characters who appeared in the first book, make an appearance in this one too, but to a lesser degree in most cases. This is the study of a man who finds himself in the midst of a midlife crisis, excited by the life his brother more or less bequeathed him, and then finding that after the initial seduction, it was not what it was cracked up to be, but by that time it was much too late to pull out. Cautionary tale? Perhaps. But, it is also a thrill ride with so many twist and turns you will not have time to catch your breath before something else shocking comes up. I do hope the author intends to continue with another installment in this series. There were a few issues I would still like to see explored or explained and since it looks as though Michael will have a difficult time completely removing himself from his brother's affairs, another grand adventure would certainly be plausible.
This one gets the 5 star treatment

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Logs In.

November 18, 2014 – Shelved