Gary's Reviews > John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End by David  Wong

Jul 10, 2010

This book was just freakin' weird. That is the only word that suffices. Gross, horrific, and disgusting in about equal measure, it was also funny as hell and kept me glued to the pages from start to end. (It was kind of uncomfortable, actually.)

I'm not even sure how to review this thing without spoiling it. There's this guy named David Wong, and his friend John. They . . . hunt monsters. Like this one monster that's made of meat. Not in the way that you or I are made of meat, but in a more literal way. Like, it's a monster . . . made of meat. Like, meat from a freezer, all held together in a disgusting way by a supernatural power of evil.

Which can be vanquished, apparently, by really loud, heavy metal music played on a boom box. Or mint candies with bible verses printed on them.

And there's a dog named Molly who both is and isn't a dog. Who can sometimes levitate and talk. Of course, all she says is something about Korrok.

Korrok . . . that would be the big, supernatural evil. Kind of. It's complicated.

I'm making kind of a mess of this, aren't I?

Um. There's also a girl. More than one, actually. Jennifer Lopez and Amy. No, not that Jennifer Lopez. The less said about her, the better.

Amy, though . . . she's the kind of girl who disappears from inside a locked room for several hours every night, to be replaced by a bag of what looks like fat. And a giant, levitating jelly-fish. Of evil. Only she doesn't remember where she went.

Look, just read it. Seriously. I . . . just read it.

Go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Dies at the End.

July 10, 2010 – Shelved
March 17, 2013 –
page 378
March 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan Silvernail Now, here's the really weird part....
They made a movie of it!
I'm currently reading this and when I am done I will watch it.
It's on Netflix.
Why? Because I am curious as to how the hell they got this on screen.

Gary I'm hoping the movie is better than the one they made from The Naked Lunch, because THAT was god-awful.

message 3: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan Silvernail It's not bad. Seeing the meat monster was too funny. I mean it became funny. Right down to the freezer burns.
They cut out a lot of stuff, trimmed the fat as it were - har har.

I learned in the Kindle edition of this book that this was written in sequel format in-between the author's two jobs.