Jess's Reviews > Insatiable

Jul 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, paranormal-romance
Read from July 09 to 10, 2010

I gave this one 3.5 stars. This is my first book by Cabot, but probably not the last. This was a quick read, that is very lighthearted and funny. I think what I found most entertaining about this book was that Cabot was poking fun at the genre of pnr, and yet she was still successfully writing a story in that genre.

Let me give a bit of a background story. Meena (the main female character) has a strange habit of being able to look at a person and tell when they are going to die. She is a writer on a show called Insatiable and when the producers want to go in a new vampire direction, Meena details all the reasons she thinks that's stupid. The terrible trend of vampires in everything annoys her, and she finds vampires to be misogynistic.

When she meets a man named Lucien she is surprised that she can't see his death. Why? Well, he's a vampire of course so he has already died. But he's not a "bad" vampire per se, still she has issues with it. Then there's Meena's crazy brother who reminds me strongly of Jason from the Sookie Stackhouse books. He's funny and lovable but otherwise sort of useless. Then there's Alaric, wait for it, whose a human and tries to protect Meena from the big bad vamp. (Anyone noticing plot similarities?).

Yes, the book pokes fun at Twilight with a similar plot and storyline but does it in a really funny way. I also think there was a bit of Cabot poking fun at Dracula. Main character's name is Meena.. and Dracula's character is Mina. Plus there are other reasons for that connection, but I can't mention them or I would spoil part of the book.

All in all, this funny spoof about vampires was actually pretty good. The ending was left open so it might even be turned into a series. If another book is put out, I will definitely read it.

I would suggest this book to anyone who likes lighthearted PNR books, and won't be offended by the way Cabot is spoofing other books. Oh and by the way, this is not a YA book. There were some sex scenes, not with a lot of details, but I wouldn't recommend it for a kid to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insatiable.