Jillyn's Reviews > The Next Breath

The Next Breath by Laurel Osterkamp

bookshelves: ebook, requested

I was really excited when I got invited to read The Next Breath. This book is technically a sequel to another book by Laurel Osterkamp that I really enjoyed, The Holdout, but it can be read as a standalone. It provides enough refreshers of what happened for readers to get the gist. (That being said, you should still totally read it. You can check out my review here but I digress). I'm happy to say that makes this book the third by this author that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Osterkamp has a great way of writing her novels so that you're emotionally connected to them, even if you share little in common with the characters (like me). You learn to care about them and get emotionally entangled in their life choices. You cheer on some and you wince at others, but regardless, the connection is genuinely there. I really wanted Robin to sort herself out and feel better about her struggles throughout the story, and I was frequently cheering her on.

The Next Breath also weaves together moments that are cleverly funny and make you snicker aloud and moments that make you really sad and mopey. I think that's a great thing in a book, and it's not something I personally often find done well. I think this is part of what makes this work of fiction so realistic. Like life, it's not all depressing or all slapstick. It's a blend of emotions that you feel even though you're not exactly sure why you're feeling that way at that particular moment in time.

This book is comprised of scenes that are set in the present voice, flashbacks to when the main character, Robin, was in college, and scenes/snippets taken from her old (or is it?) flame Jed's play that she is presently starring in at her best friend's theater company. Because Osterkamp's writing moves so smoothly, and the segments are labelled with dates, it is easy to differentiate what time span you're reading from.

This is a work of contemporary realistic fiction that anyone can appreciate, especially if you love romantic elements in your stories. It's a pretty fast read because you'll be hooked once you feel yourself attach to the characters involved.

I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinions by CBB Book Promotions. Thanks! This review can also be found on my blog, Bitches n Prose
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Breath.

November 17, 2014 – Shelved