David Brin's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

Read 2 times

The Three-Body Problem is part one of an award-winning trilogy by Liu Cixin — and is arguably the best Chinese science fiction novel ever translated into English. Liu uses the “three-body problem” of classical mechanics to ask some terrifying questions about human nature and what lies at the core of civilization.

The series explores the world of the Trisolarans, a race that is forced to adapt to life in a triple star system, on a planet whose gravity, heat, and orbit are in constant flux. Facing extinction, the Trisolarans plan to evacuate and conquer the nearest habitable planet, and finally chooses a candidate/victim when it intercepts a message—from Earth. The Three-Body Problem has been translated into English by award-winning writer, Ken Liu (author of books such as The Grace of Kings). Take a look at Stephan Martiniere's way-cool cover for the coming Tor Books edition!)

Special note… The Three Body Problem deals very closely with the issue of SETI and the Fermi Paradox and whether we should shout "yoo-hoo!" into the cosmos -- a quandary about which I've also written, from time to time.

But the biggest news is this proof of the maturation of Chinese science fiction into the top ranks of thorough and fascinating thought experimentation. I’ve long maintained that the health of an enlightened and progressive society is measured by how vibrant is its science fiction, since that is where true self-critique and appraisal and hope lie. If so, the good news stretches beyond China!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 22, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 17, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Relieved to read this review as a fans for Three-Body Problem series, especially the second book. Speaking of SETI, I used to have that as screensaver for a long time when I used windows...

Judy Reading it now and loving it.

Judy What an amazing story. I wish I'd kept count of how many times I had to stop reading just to say "holy crap".

David Agranoff Very good.

Chip The best you say? Do you have any suggestions of other translated Chinese sci-fi?

Apatt Wonderful review, sir. I didn't even know you write Goodreads reviews, though I love the reviews on your own blog. Big fan! :)

message 7: by Muriel (new)

Muriel Hykes We will buy it tonight.