Jeff Raymond's Reviews > Cryptonomicon

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Oct 12, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, books-i-own-on-kindle, read-general-fiction

I did not like this book very much.

I like Stephenson a lot, but I do know that he tends to go full-bore into what he likes. So if it's a book like Anathem or Seveneves, where my interests merge? It's great. This is closer to a cryptographic Reamde, and it just never clicked. Effectively jumping through multiple generations and having cryptography in those eras be the focal point, the result is a book with a ridiculous scope and charge, and one that works.

Why only three stars, then? The book is well-written and researched, and feels current even though it's close to 20 years old, but the stakes never rise for me and the result is a book that just slogs on its way through. I was close to the end before I realized I was there because I've been reading this for so long and just waiting for something more substantial to happen.

I wish I had more to say. I know a lot of people swear by this book, but it utterly failed to grab me and I was sure it would. Absolutely positive. 900-odd pages and just the parts felt more than the whole did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryptonomicon.

July 9, 2010 – Shelved