Staci's Reviews > When She Flew

When She Flew by Jennie Shortridge

Jul 09, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Recommended to Staci by: Publisher

Thoughts: I was captured immediately with the description of Lindy's love for birds and her hope to see a blue heron. I anxiously await each year the blue heron that visits my neighbor's pond. I love birds and owls, so I felt an affinity for Lindy. I was scared for her when the police invade her home and try to separate her from her father. I'm always amazed at how easily people can judge someone else and this book really made me stop and think about what is a "proper" home for a child. Who makes the decision that your home isn't good enough? I can totally understand filth and dangerous conditions as being reasons for a child being removed from a home. But who decided that living off the land, treating nature with respect, being clean, fed, educated, clothed, and happy constitutes a neglectful living situation? Just from what was presented in the book, I felt that Lindy was a well-rounded kid and that her dad really was trying to do the best he could for her. What is equally intriguing is that this story is loosely based on actual events that took place outside of Portland in 2004. When I was finished, I found myself asking what makes a home? Who decides which way is right about "education" and how to raise a kid properly? This book is an insightful glimpse into the world of our soldiers that return from Iraq suffering from PTSD. It also shows that human side of police officers who find themselves involved in domestic disputes and don't always agree with the law.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When She Flew.

July 9, 2010 – Started Reading