Tara Calaby's Reviews > The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

bookshelves: 100-books, science-fiction, gothic, mystery

I feel a little like no modern reader can truly appreciate this book, as we're so thoroughly spoiled for the big reveal that takes place around three quarters of the way through. It's not badly written, but it's more mystery than horror, and very much more told than shown for most of the book. I didn't dislike this in the way I disliked Treasure Island, but I didn't love it either, and I think this will be the last I read of his.

Also, the almost-complete lack of women in this book is very odd.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

November 17, 2014 – Started Reading
November 17, 2014 – Shelved
November 18, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

saturn  daughter ☾ I dont think the lack of women is odd XD. It's just the story of three boy friends, it could have been the story of three girls friends as well.

message 2: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Calaby I don't mean in terms of main characters. There are barely any women mentioned at all and that stood out to me as unusual.

message 3: by saturn (last edited Dec 14, 2014 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

saturn  daughter ☾ Well, there wore these maids living in the house of Mr.Hyde avd Mr.Jekyll.