Wendy's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

bookshelves: ya-take-it-or-leave-it

I give it 5 stars, because it was original, interesting and FINALLY not about vampires, werewolves, fairies and the lot. Although, the character DID attend a boarding school...yeesh. A main female character who wasn't a 125 lb. smart/cute/AP Class taking, SAT ace, doesn't know she's beautiful, has hot guys vying for her hand....Yeah, I mean you Bella, Nora, Bianca, etc..... If I gave it stars based how how much I liked it, or how I felt after reading the last page...2 stars.

Boarding school is such an overused plot device to get rid of those pesky parents who usually would notice all the hi-jinks and weird things going on. But oh-so-conveniently, they are no where to be found and teens are pretty much free to roam the countryside figuring out the mysterious mystery.

The first half was pretty good, and built up tension and all that...then, (scratching head...), uhm, the author decided to Unleash the New Zealand Kraken of Mythology. Wow...I just couldn't keep up with all the Maori names and words thrown around and just tossed in with no explanation or glossary in the back. What's up with that?

Oh, and Mythology sprinkled in is awesome...I can even forgive an author for slightly changing myth to fit the story, or lend a new look to it.

But to literally use every detail and character in the myth is overwhelming, especially when it is not necessarily a well-known mythology. It just was too much. AND... I still don't really know what Mark turned into at the end.

But I would definitely read something else written by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.

Started Reading