John Blumenthal's Reviews > The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution

The Innovators by Walter Isaacson

I must confess that I did not finish this book—the technical stuff did me in. This has happened several times before. (Note to self: do not try to read books involving motors, cathode tubes, quantum mechanics or how to screw in a lightbulb.) Science has never been my forte, although I am fascinated by it so I buy these books (Innovators, Tesla, Einstein) and always regret it.

I did learn a thing or two though. For example, I discovered that a woman named Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, an English mathematician and writer, worked on an early analytical machine and foresaw the development of modern computers. And this was in the 1840s. Also, the book informed me that women were generally better than men at creating software.

I often use these two tidbits of information to impress people at parties and dinners. Unfortunately, on one occasion, I recounted these fascinating facts to a gentleman who had read the entire book, and rather than being forced to admit my woeful ignorance, I excused myself and walked off to the bathroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innovators.

November 16, 2014 – Started Reading