Lark's Reviews > All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers

All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers by Larry McMurtry

Jul 09, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

Changed my mind. I'm giving it 3 because I enjoyed and believed the voice, and voice is particularly important to me. For a wannabe beat-gen, on-the-road hipster who's basically using a skeletal plot to detail some sexual exploits... our protagonist is refreshingly self-aware. He's a young guy struggling to come to grips with his own talent and what it means to be a successful writer while stuck in the rut of starving student and smelly hippie. And y'know, all of this rings very true. I'm kinda hypothesizing that the author didn't have to do too much deep character delving to come up with this one. So if the plot felt like a bit of an excuse just to introduce 5 or 6 very different females for our hero to bed in various fashions... well, it read like non-fiction, so I'll give credit to Mr. McMurtry for that anyways.
In the end, it read to me like somebody who has been given a hard time regarding some of his actions trying (pretty honestly) to give his side of the story. So while it was both a refreshing and fun (one could even say "seductive") read, that's kind of all it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers.

11/06/2016 marked as: read