Fani *loves angst*'s Reviews > The Wyndham Legacy

The Wyndham Legacy by Catherine Coulter

I can't be impartial about this because blandly put Coulter's humor, just like Julie Garwood's, doesn't work for me at all. Had I known this was more on the humorous rather than the angsty side, I'd never have picked it to begin with.

Impartially though, the heroine had little to recommend her in the first half of the book. For the first 100 pages she only reacts with nods and single line answers to her encounters with every person she meets, including the hero, even when she's insulted. Such a cold fish, I've rarely met before. And then to make matters worse, she proceeds to drug and force to marriage a man who has said to her face that he doesn't want her!

Disgusted as I was with her at that point, Coulter did turn the tables on me and made me more sympathetic to her in the second half, mainly by making the hero a brute. At this point, I felt those two totally deserved each other. And just when some angst was starting to come out of their struggles and making me interested, the humor crept in. Well, the book lost me at that point. I believe however, that this is where things got interesting for most readers who actually liked the book.

If you like Garwood's humor and bodice rippers, this is a good mix of both of them, along with a really good and hard to solve mystery. If you like crazy servants that intervene in their lords' lives and make you laugh out loud, again, this is the book for you. A note though, that the hero and heroine are first cousins and though that was not frowned upon at that time, some readers might still feel repulsed by this detail.
If you however don't like any of the above tropes, you may skip this with no regrets whatsoever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wyndham Legacy.

03/27/2011 "I have to finish this for a challenge before the end of the month. It'll be a race with time as I'll be mostly out of home, both today and tomorrow."
03/28/2011 page 35
9.0% ""What drivel, Gweneth thought. If there was ever a gentleman with his hand over his chest, it wasn't from undying love but from indigestion after imbibing too much brandy.""
03/28/2011 page 80
20.0% "The heroine is so taciturn, controlled and calm that in p. 80 we see her uttering more than a single line for the first time. How can I connect with such a block of ice???" 4 comments
03/29/2011 page 130
33.0% "The 'heroine' drugged the hero to force him to marry her, after he very clearly said she's the last woman on earth he'd marry or take to bed. I swear, this is going downhill too fast to stop!" 6 comments
03/30/2011
60.0% "Now that the marriage is up and going, this is going more smoothly (for a boddice ripper). And the Duchess has finally shown she's able to speak occasionally instead of merely stare back. Surprises, surprises!"
03/30/2011
70.0% "All I can say, is those two deserve each other! At least she stands up to him and doesn't take crap anymore." 2 comments
03/30/2011
80.0% "This turned out to be a bodice ripper who doesn't take itself seriously. Not my cuppa; I'd actually prefer the hero to mean it when he asks the heroine to leave." 16 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Fani, *adds book to skip-it list* Sounds sorta messed up, like the author didn't know what road she was going to take, from angst to humor?

MelissaB Ugh this book was terrible. I don't think it's like Garwood at all because I associate her with nice protective alpha heroes, not cruel rapist jerks.

Nice review Fani! Did someone recommend this to you?

message 3: by willaful (new)

willaful Rane wrote: "Great Review Fani, *adds book to skip-it list* Sounds sorta messed up, like the author didn't know what road she was going to take, from angst to humor?"

That's fairly typical of Coulter. This was actually the book that got me started liking her -- my first try seemed like a big mess. Later I tried that book again
(The Sherbrooke Bride) and really liked it. You have to be in the right frame of mind for her.

AgentScully This was the book that started me reading romances back in 2000. I was stuck on a cruise ship and hadn't brought any books along. The ship's tiny library had this book. So I'll always have a fondness for it :-)

Fani *loves angst* @Rane: I guess she always meant for it to be humorous and it was my fault for not realizing it earlier. It would have saved me a lot of frustration:)

@Melissa: You're right, the hero was unlike Garwood's. It was the kind of humor and ditsy servants that reminded me of her. No one recommended it, but since it involved a marriage of convenience and I usually like Coulter, I had this high on my wishlist until I run into a challenge that made me actually pick it up.

message 6: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Apr 01, 2011 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fani *loves angst* willaful wrote: "Later I tried that book again
"

The Sherbrooke Bride was also my first Coulter book and I really liked that one. I also loved Lord Harry. I then read Pendragon which although I didn't hate, made me realize her kind of humor is not for me. This one cemented this belief. I'll only stick to her darker books from now on and as you say, only pick them when I'm in the right frame of mind.

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "This was the book that started me reading romances back in 2000. I was stuck on a cruise ship and hadn't brought any books along. The ship's tiny library had this book. So I'll always have a fondne..."

Ahh we always remember our first (well I actually don't know what my first one was because it was an old Harly).

There are a lot of older books I remember fondly but am not sure if I would still like them.

message 8: by Fani *loves angst* (last edited Apr 01, 2011 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fani *loves angst* AgentScully wrote: "This was the book that started me reading romances back in 2000. I was stuck on a cruise ship and hadn't brought any books along. The ship's tiny library had this book. So I'll always have a fondne..."

I know that feeling Scully. The book that hooked me in romance was The Taming. I know you are a fan too, but I think I seriously overrated it back then; I'm not so sure I'd love it as much now, but I'll always have a deep fondness for it. I'm afraid to pick it up again for fear it will let me down after so many books:(