Howie Rosen's Reviews > The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes: 37 Short Stories Plus a Complete Novel

The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

M 50x66
Jul 08, 2010

bookshelves: currently-reading

Two firsts here. Writing a review before I've reached even halfway to the finish line. And reading short stories are nearly as far down my list of pleasures as cracking open a book of poetry. Doyle's adventures make a quick start out of the blocks, so going from one to the other is effortless. These stories in their day rivaled the popularity of a new Harry Potter book--and no wonder that--each plot is so deliciously different.

The greatest joy is to pay careful attention to the details in order to predict the outcome. I'm batting an All Star's average so far! The mark of a classic work is that it never seems to show its age no matter its age. The original Sidney Paget illustrations transport you to a London of long ago nearly as well as a Masterpiece Theater Production.

Not to be missed by any mystery buff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes.

message 1: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette You've reminded me of how much I loved those stories. They made a deep impression on me!