KarenC's Reviews > Borderline

2093830
Jul 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: better_than_tv, murder_mystery, suspense
Recommended to KarenC by: following the series
Read from July 08 to 12, 2010

I enjoyed this book as much as the other two I've recently read in this series, Winter Study and Burn (won in Goodreads Giveaway & my intro to Anna Pigeon). I got a better sense of the park setting and learned more about Anna's character in this one. Nevada Barr does a good job developing the central characters of the story, although some supporting characters are left too sketchy and seem one-dimensional. Big Bend National Park, particularly the Rio Grande River, has a secondary role in the plot. The rugged terrain and quickly changing current of the river are integral to the beginning of the rafting adventure Anna & Paul chose for their "relaxing" vacation.

The plot of the story is developed using two seemingly separate lines that the reader knows will converge eventually, and they at least bump together once or twice before becoming permanently entwined in the second half of the book. As pointed out by previous reviewers there were some obvious slip-ups on Anna's part that weakened the plot. But Anna is still the strong, creative, problem-solver to which I was previously introduced and enjoyed.

I will go back and start with book #1 in this series at some point to see what I've missed. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable and adventurous journey in learning something about various national parks and about Anna Pigeon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Borderline.