elizabeth • paper ghosts's Reviews > Discord's Apple

Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn

Jul 08, 2010

bookshelves: goodreads-giveaways, own

First and foremost: amazing concept. Totally original, and I'm surprised I haven't seen another book with it already. It's genius! I was really excited to get the ARC from goodreads.

A very fast read for me - two days total, though I probably could have whipped through it in a day if I hadn't had to go to work. It's an easy read, and I love the alternating chapters. I was a little confused within the first couple of chapters, but once I figured out the pattern, it was incredibly enjoyable.

I think my only complaints would be lack of length. This could have been a really long epic, and at times it just felt really rushed. I didn't really feel connected to many of the characters - mostly because I didn't feel like I had enough time with them and their personalities weren't developed enough. There was also a lot of repetitiveness in the description of the items in the Storeroom. I got frustrated with the same items being used over and over and over again. Like the golden fleece, or Hermes's sandals. I really would have liked a little more variety in those areas, and definitely some items from more varied cultures. I mean, it's a Storeroom full of the most magical items in the world, and all I know that's in there is some sandals, a golden fleece, and Cinderella's slippers? What about items from Indian culture, or Egyptian, or Asian? Variety is the spice of life, after all.

But, really, all I can hope for is a sequel sometime. I felt like there's a lot more to the Storeroom than we were given in "Discord's Apple". There's a lot of potential in the concept, and I'd love to see it fully explored. And maybe explore something other than Greek mythology. If it wasn't for the amazing concept of the Storeroom, I'd give this three stars. Because of it, I'm giving it four.

*I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads giveaway!*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discord's Apple.