Shay's Reviews > Meaning at the Movies: Becoming a Discerning Viewer

Meaning at the Movies by Grant Horner

"All the world's a screen" – at least that's how Prof Horner sees it, and I'm starting to agree with him.

Prof Horner's work here revels both his love for film and for God's Word and how to balance the two. As an English professor, film guru, and a student of theology, Prof Horner is the right man to speak to this very important Christian question of what do we do with film?

This book will challenge any film lover, parent, student, and Christian to actually use discernment when watching movies, and not just view them for entertainment only. His purpose is not to tell you what movies to watch, but show you how to watch them. Additionally, his goal is teach us how to see ourselves in movies, and then compare that with how God designed us to live as revealed in the Bible.

For Christians, Meaning At The Movies should be added to your "to-read" list and pushed to the top of the list. It will create a conversation in your home, work, or church that will surely help us all use our time to the glory of God, even when we're holding a bag of popcorn and enjoying a movie together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meaning at the Movies.

July 8, 2010 – Shelved
July 13, 2010 – Started Reading
July 13, 2010 –
page 54
24.22% "Preface and Introduction have been fabulous."
July 15, 2010 –
page 83
October 13, 2010 –
page 98
December 21, 2010 –
page 141
63.23% "been reading it slowly, but the chapter on "fear for pleasure" is brilliant."
December 29, 2010 –