Anja H.'s Reviews > The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

*5 EXTRATERRESTRIAL STARS*

"How do you rid the earth of humans? Rid the humans of their humanity."

HOLY CRAP.
This was good! I mean, like, extremely, terrifyingly good!
I have already read plenty of books dealing with aliens and/or invasions, but for me this is the best one yet! I expected this to be yet another overhyped book series, but boy was I wrong!
This is the first Rick Yancey novel I ever read and it completely blew me away, I don't even know where to start. I wonder why I haven't read this earlier, I feel like such an idiot for only deciding to start reading this because I saw that the movie adaption was almost being released! And now that I've read this, I can't wait till February 12th so I can go see the movie. (Yeah, here in Belgium it's being released almost 3 weeks later than in the US, it sucks.)

I loved this book so much, I can't even find a single thing I didn't like! I mean, it took me about 30 pages before I fully got into this, but after that, I breezed through and before I knew it, I finished it.
Rick Yancey's writing is just phenomenal! At first, you really don't know where he's going with all the different POV's and so many characters and events happening at the same time, but in the end everything came together really nicely and all the character's adventures built up to the big revelation in the end!

There wasn't a single character that I disliked, they were all just so real and easy to relate to. Cassie was the perfect heroine, she was badass and sassy and seriously funny at all the right times. Zombie's chapters were a little darker and showed the other side to the alien invasion, but I loved his perseverance and loyalty. And Evan, oh Evan. He completely stole my heart, he's such a sweetheart and uuurgh, he better return in the next book or I'm going to be seriously pissed!
Cassie and Sammy's relationship was so adorable as well! I was so glad when they were finally reunited, I was nearly in tears! You could really tell throughout the book how much they cared for each other.

Even though you got POV's from about 4 different characters (which I would usually find a bit much), I grew really emotionally attached to all of them! They all had great character development and there never was a dull moment with any of them. I loved how everything eventually fit together like a really good puzzle.

Overall, this novel constantly kept me on my toes and managed to surprise and completely baffle me several times. It was a rollercoaster I'll never forget and I can't wait to start the next book in this series asap! I can already predict that this is going to be one of my favorite book series of all time.

To everyone who hasn't read this yet, go do it now, I promise you won't regret it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5th Wave.

November 13, 2014 – Shelved
November 13, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
December 2, 2015 – Started Reading
December 7, 2015 –
page 37
8.1% "Wow, I only just started this and I'm already hooked!"
December 28, 2015 –
page 132
28.88% "This book is really remarkable so far!"
December 28, 2015 –
page 215
47.05% "I can't believe I waited this long to read this!"
January 1, 2016 –
page 318
69.58% "I have this feeling that shit's about to go downnn!"
January 2, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Rebecca Wash I love this book so much! and Evan is amazing!

Gem ~Zero Shelf Control~ This has been on my to read list for a while....next purchase for me then

India I own the first 2 since the 3rd hasn't come out yet, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet! I want it to be my next read since the movie comes out January 22nd for us!

Anja H. @Gem; You should definitely go for it!
@India; You should definitely pick it up next, I also waited till now to read it and now I regret waiting so long, it's great!

Jasmine Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I LOVE this review and the book!! Glad you enjoyed it, Anja! :D

message 6: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha On my list, Anja...love your review!

Henry This review is not a reliable review, it's just a vague praise of everything.

You never actually touch on anything in the book. You just give opinions.

That in of itself is not an issue. But you bring up points, such as "everything came together so nicely in the end" and "They all had great character development." You need to address HOW these things came about and WHY they are the way they are if you want your review to be genuine. Otherwise, it's just you blindly stating a random opinion in an attempt to review this.

Also, your note about liking every character--that is not a good thing. You don't want to like all the characters, especially since the main conflict of this story pertains to a lot of characters that should be unlikable. A good author can write a compelling character that everyone hates--look at Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter. She is a fantastic character, but I still hate her more than I hate anything else.

message 8: by Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) (last edited Jan 26, 2017 12:03AM) (new)

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) Great review Anja.

It's nice that we have a place like Goodreads where we can share our "opinions" about books, isn't it? I mean, if we wanted professional "reviews", we'd read The New York Times book section. *yawn*

Have a great 2017. Cheers!