Ryan's Reviews > The Firm

The Firm by John Grisham

Jul 07, 2010

liked it
Read from July 06 to 07, 2010 , read count: 1

I was bored and desperate for something to read so I broke my rule of not reading books about lawyers. This is why I haven't read The Firm before now. There is nothing like missing the hottest bestseller by about 20 years.

Reading The Firm almost 20 years after first published, one notices how dated it is. However, overall the suspense and intrigue hold up fairly well. A lawyer is recruited by a firm who turns out to be shady and wants him dead. But he's the boy-next-door-to-someone-else, all-american sportball champion, and really smart. I noticed some weird things about the law and lawyer culture that just wasn't true. I also thought it was funny that he wanted a burgundy BMW at one point. The cultural references and the money definitely date this book.

I don't think that this book was especially well written. There were long paragraphs of explanation and exposition that weren't necessary or interesting. I skipped them. But if you follow just the story, it will pull you through and keep you interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firm.