Bones Kendall's Reviews > The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

liked it
bookshelves: read-aloud-to-my-kids
Read 2 times

I didn't ask why, but my local used bookstore has several "Great Illustrated Classics" editions and I have bought a few. I like classics and I like that these have been abridged and rewritten for younger readers.

Growing up, Swiss Family Robinson, because of the Disney version, was foremost in my mind. It was a telling experience for me at UCLA when I read Defoe's original. I read his Moll Flanders in college, too, and gained perspective.

Robinson Crusoe is a colonialist and this book helped Europe to justify its tendencies to dominate. I explained some of this to my kids, but I also talked about the industriousness of Crusoe, who can herd goats and grow perennial crops, like grapes, which can be made into storable raisins.

With the good comes the bad.

I talked to them about Friday and subjugation, about how Crusoe started as a plantation owner, meaning he was an owner of slaves. This kid version was primarily the plot, but I added a lot to encourage discussion and perspective.

I do recommend the original and hope my kids read that version when they are older and ready to better understand it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
May 16, 2011 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 12, 2014 – Shelved