Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)'s Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

4719633

bookshelves: grown-up-reads, magic

Let me start by saying that this book is the reason I am so far behind on my 2015 reading challenge. When it was suggested to me, I didn't think to check the number of pages. I sat down to read and was drawn into the complex set of characters and intricate plot immediately, and read for hours. Then I checked my progress (on the Kindle) and nearly hit the floor. Hours spent reading and I had barely made a dent in the book. That's when I checked the page count and cursed.

I probably could have read through this book at a quicker pace, but there is something about a finely tuned plot that demands to be savored. Speed reading would have meant missing much of what makes this book (series) so great. (Although, I will admit I did find myself skipping a few pages about half way through because I just could not stand one character.)

While I'm sure some people will complain, I have chosen to only touch the surface of this book in my review. Why? Because diving too deep would taint others' opinions if they choose to read it. I have never seen the HBO show, so I had no preformed images in my mind, but I knew instantly which characters I loved and which I loathed. They were so fantastically written, it's hard to put into words. I can see how this series got picked up for a TV show and became an instant hit.

The author is certainly not scared to kill off characters you love either! There were several points in the story that I had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Be ready for plot twists galore.

A Song of Ice and Fire is hands down one of the best high fantasy novels I have ever read. I plan to continue to read the series as I have time (to conquer books of 1,000+ pages each). Hopefully, before I die, I will know how this story ends.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

November 12, 2014 – Started Reading
November 12, 2014 – Shelved
November 12, 2014 – Shelved as: grown-up-reads
November 12, 2014 – Shelved as: magic
November 12, 2014 –
2.0% "I've got such a long way to go"
November 12, 2014 –
November 15, 2014 –
10.0% "Oh! Did they just kill Bran?!"
November 15, 2014 –
November 18, 2014 –
19.0% "I seriously dislike this queen"
November 18, 2014 –
November 19, 2014 –
25.0% "I don't know what to think of Tyrion. Best line so far :"He walked as if he had a dagger lodged in his ass." Hilarious."
December 3, 2014 –
December 4, 2014 –
December 5, 2014 –
December 5, 2014 –
December 7, 2014 –
50.0% "this won't end well at all. I do not trust Bronn"
December 28, 2014 –