Andy Frankham-Allen's Reviews > The Hit List

The Hit List by Anne Brooke

Jul 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2010

First of let me just say, Amber Quill might wish to rethink how they package their books. On the spine it says this is a Gay Erotic Romance, and it really isn’t. There’s very little in the way of erotica, other than a few references to sexual encounters between Jamie and Robert; the one time Anne Brooke does write a full blown sex-scene (if you can call it full blown), it’s done with such finesse and discretion that there’s very little chance of it being erotic. Which works way better, anyway. If anything this book is a Comedy of Life, because that’s what ‘The Hit List’ is all about; life. The choices people make (or don’t make), the consequences thereof, and the inherent complications and confusions that come of relationships.

The book is told entirely from Jamie’s point of view, except for one curious incident where we’re being treated to Robert’s point of view briefly, and as a result every character we meet along the way is introduced via Jamie’s own unique view of the world. Well, I say unique, it’s not really. I’ve met many people like him. When it comes to work he’s a whiz; focussed, hard working, and knows his shit. There’s very little about his work life he can’t deal with. But when it comes to relationships, emotions, and sexuality... well, Jamie is screwed. Although rarely literally. He has an awkward sociability about him, an unawareness of those around him and how his life touches theirs. As a result there’s plenty of scope for real touching comedy; moments where you think, ‘yep, been there’.

All the characters are well drawn, and most importantly they’re very real. Some people bitch about the change of fates at the end of the book, when certain characters decide on their sexuality, and how one man only wanted to be gay to be different, and because he liked the colourful clothes. Truth is, such people do exist out there. And that’s the biggest pull of this book, you feel like you know these characters, that you’ve met them in your own life. Certainly I’ve met people who don’t want to be gay (indeed, I know one of them very intimately), and would rather be straight, not only for the sake of others, but because it would make life so much easier. Alas, such things can’t be escaped. You are what you are, and sometimes you have to have the balls to accept that, as Jamie discovered the hard way.

A touching book; in turns funny, true, heartbreaking, and sentimental. The measure of a book, for me, can be judged by the answer to one question. Can I walk down the street reading it? Is it so interesting that I can’t put it down when the train reaches the station, that I need to carry on reading it for the rest of the walk home? The answer with ‘The Hit List’ is yes. Absolutely! And I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hit List.

July 7, 2010 – Started Reading
page 206
July 10, 2010 –
page 220
July 10, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Andy! :)) Glad you enjoyed the read!