Brooke Hargett's Reviews > The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Nov 12, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-delicious-reads-selection

I really give it a 3.5... This was such an interesting way to learn about eerie H.H. Holmes the serial killer. The story is set against the very vibrant backdrop of the Chicago World Fair. I learned so much about everything that went into bringing the dream of the World Fair to fruition. I can't believe that they made it happen with all the roadblocks they faced. Then the story was kept moving by the creepy disappearances of young girls who flocked to Chicago to be part of the Fair. Holmes was so charming and seductive, it's very unnerving. I thought that Erik Larson handled the darker parts of the story well because many of the deaths aren't directly spoken about-- women just disappear and you know that they've become another victim of Holmes. I couldn't believe I wasn't more familiar with him as a serial killer of history. Everything about him, his demeanor, his life, his intelligence, and even his death and the events that occurred after his death... all will haunt me for a long time! I'm really glad I learned about this important piece of history. This is a great non-fiction read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the White City.

November 12, 2014 – Shelved