Katie's Reviews > Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

Jul 07, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2010

This book was pretty engaging, plot-wise--the main character's life has so many random elements in it that it certainly lowers the average for the mundane across everybody else's. However, it was also pedantic, preachy, and entirely unbelievable at times. Una, the main character, can be irritating in her self-righteousness, and clearly a mouthpiece for the author to expound on her own views (I'm guessing she has something against organized religion? Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, unless you're pulling the holier-than-thou card a little too much). I suppose that authors have the right, but that makes it no less irritating in this case. Una must also possess some astounding natural pheromones, as every man seems to want her, but also an unfortunate penchant for the crazy ones.
I was also expecting it to pertain more to Moby Dick.
All in all, however, there were some great tidbits about what it was like to live at the time, and, like Moby Dick, a decent overview of whaling. It's a decent read, about a woman with a lot of personal strength...as well as an amazingly pig-headed ability to make bad decisions. But maybe I'm being judgmental, myself. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer.

08/05/2017 marked as: read