Sara's Reviews > The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

bookshelves: fantasy, female-protagonists, multiple-povs, world-building-love, young-adult

Actual Rating: 3.75 out of 5

A feast for the senses! Renee Ahdieh's debut novel The Wrath and the Dawn whisks readers away to a Middle Eastern-inspired desert realm where a young king chooses a new bride each day, only to execute her by the next sunrise. Sixteen-year-old Shahrzad is determined to break the cycle, and volunteers to wed Khalid with the plan to avenge the murder of her best friend and all the other girls before. It's loosely based on the epic Arabian Nights, with Shazi spinning two of its most famous tales early on. But it has a life of its own, one full of mystery, romance, and exquisite details that makes every aroma, flavor, and color rich and real.

The Wrath and the Dawn is more of a low fantasy love story than a true fantasy. Magic only comes in hints, and is never really explained. In hindsight, I would have preferred that over the emphasis on romance. But the sumptuous world-building just about compensates for it, and so does Shazi. What a spitfire! She's gutsy, feisty, and as calculating as lifelong royalty, but with a soul teeming with emotion. She disappointed me a bit in the end, though; I would have expected her to put up more of a fight. But this was still was a riveting read that left me breathless - and eager for what's to come in The Rose and the Dagger next year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrath and the Dawn.

November 12, 2014 – Shelved
November 12, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 6, 2015 – Started Reading
July 6, 2015 –
page 30
7.73% "Beautiful world so far. And very surprised this is a multi-POV novel. I was under the impression it would only be from Shazi's viewpoint..."
July 7, 2015 –
page 67
17.27% "Lots of sensory details so far, especially color, smells, and taste. It really brings out a sensual, vibrant feel to Ahdieh's world so far."
July 8, 2015 –
page 139
35.82% "Something tells me that Tariq will be the loose cannon of this story..."
July 9, 2015 –
page 198
51.03% "I think I'm getting an inkling of why Khalid is forced to execute his wives. Not sure what exactly happened in his life that led up to that "why"... But that's one of the reasons why I want to keep reading. :)"
July 10, 2015 – Finished Reading
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: female-protagonists
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: multiple-povs
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: world-building-love
July 12, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Creatyvebooks Omg this makes me want to read it even more. Although I'm always hesitant about the romance. Sorry not for the fluffy romance. Still it seems like it's worth the read.

Sara Definitely give it a shot. I was hesitant about the romance angle too, but this ended up being quite a beauty.