Cathrine ☯️ 's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

bookshelves: favorites, group-challenge

description
There is an empty boat loosed from it's mooring and Lydia Lee is missing.

“People decide what you’re like before they even get to know you. They think they know all about you. Except you’re never who they think you are.”

Oh my, such exquisite writing and storytelling.
Each paragraph like a knot on a silken cord leading you in the darkness of a maze twisting with family secrets, lies, and heartbreak. I started reading and could not stop. It’s difficult to describe how the reader can be so in love with such a tragic tale at the root of so many dysfunctional families overburdened with their excessive expectations. The author accomplishes this with such a gentle, soulful leading. I never felt abused or manipulated, even when the tears slipped out of my eyes after the last paragraph.
A beautifully written treatise on how parents damage their children with their insidious quest to fulfill their lost hopes and dreams, destroying innocence and distorting the face of love.
The author also weaves a very poignant tale on the long term legacy of prejudice and the trails of toxic waste it leaves in its wake.
Beginning with the title, I was spellbound the entire way with everything she told me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

November 12, 2014 – Shelved
page 194
May 23, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
May 24, 2016 – Shelved as: group-challenge

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Cathrine ☯️ Tomorrow. I hope I can adequately sing praises to Celeste Ng's beautiful work of literary art.

message 2: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem I really enjoyed this one too Catherine.

Diane S ☔ Loved how you worded your review, simply beautiful. I enjoyed this one too.

Angela M C, love your beautiful review.

message 5: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana Oh, wow! What a beautiful review! I vaguely remember starting this book and stopping. I wonder if it was the timing...as you have mentioned, as well. With a review like this, I need to pick it back up.

Jennifer Gorgeous photo and gorgeous review! So evocative. Thank you. For some reason I had a bias against this one (I have no idea why), but you've changed my mind. I'm adding it.

P.S. LOVE your new profile pic, too! You're combining a lot of your loves together -- wine, books, dog :-) Although I can't figure out if the tennis balls are for the dog or for your aching back ;-)

Dianne Lovely review, Cathrine! You summed it up perfectly.

Cathrine ☯️ Dana wrote: "Oh, wow! What a beautiful review! I vaguely remember starting this book and stopping. I wonder if it was the timing...as you have mentioned, as well. With a review like this, I need to pick it back..."

Thanks Dana. As much as I loved it, I could also say that this might not be for everyone.

message 9: by Cathrine ☯️ (last edited May 24, 2016 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathrine ☯️ Jennifer wrote: "Gorgeous photo and gorgeous review! So evocative. Thank you. For some reason I had a bias against this one (I have no idea why), but you've changed my mind. I'm adding it.

P.S. LOVE your new prof..."

I also had a bias Jen, probably due to a negative review?

Those tennis balls were tossed up one at time by Amie as I was engaged in two of my favorite activities. She loves to try and lure me away from those and my computer. It was too funny, as I was so engrossed I had not noticed until she tossed up the third one! :D

message 10: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen A wonderful review, Cathrine! I picked this up on my book hunt last month. Glad I did.

message 11: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Great review, Cathrine - I'm really interested in this one now! Love the photo, too :)

Sharon Metcalf Wonderful review Cathrine. I've had this one in my sights for a while but my library doesnt seem to have it. Coincidentally I just read another review of this book on Pinterest about 20 mins ago. Maybe I just need to go buy it.

message 13: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Beautiful review Cathrine. I've been meaning to read this one for a long time, and your review makes me want to get to it soon!

Ashley This is on my TBR! Cannot wait to get to it.

message 15: by JudiAnne (new)

JudiAnne It's on my TR list Cathrine. I don't know why I haven't read it yet. I will be moving it up. Wonderful review!

Irene This review has convinced me to put this one on my reading list.

message 17: by Cathrine ☯️ (last edited May 25, 2016 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathrine ☯️ Thank you for all the likes and comments my friends. <3
If you get to it I hope you feel the same appreciation.

That is a beautiful picture but sadly not Photo-shopped. It's a polluted cesspool of chemicals which I thought complemented the review and story.

☮Karen Definitely like your review (love) more than the book in this case. Always look forward to your gorgeous reviews!

Navidad Thelamour Wonderful review. I felt the exact same way about this read and also gave it 5 stars!

Wendy I really have to read this!

message 21: by DeB (new) - rated it 5 stars

DeB MaRtEnS Lovely review. My enthusiasm developed days after I read the novel, lol!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson I am not sure I will read the book as it is evidently sad, however, I love your review, particularly how you write the second paragraph.

message 23: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Love your beautiful review, Cathrine. Definitely need to read this one soon.

Jeannie Great review. I enjoyed this one too.

Cathrine ☯️ K, N, W, D, C, K, & J thank you so much :)

message 26: by Saania Zee (new) - added it

Saania Zee Jamal ϟ This sounds so very interesting! *adds to tbr-shelf*

Cathrine ☯️ Saania Zee wrote: "This sounds so very interesting! *adds to tbr-shelf*"

Thanks Saania. Hope you get to it and enjoy as I did.

message 28: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna I have been meaning to read this forever. I'm glad you liked it. Wonderful review :)

Susanne Strong Cathrine- your review is simply exquisite!! I am at a loss for words. Wonderful job. :)

Cathrine ☯️ Thanks so much Deanna and Suzanne.

Cheri "Spellbound from the beginning" says it all, exactly how I felt! Loved your review, Cathrine!

Cathrine ☯️ Cheri wrote: ""Spellbound from the beginning" says it all, exactly how I felt! Loved your review, Cathrine!"

thanks Cheri :-)