Candace's Reviews > Claimed

Claimed by M. Never

Didn't Hold My Interest Like The First Book

I really wanted to love this one, but it just didn't happen for me. This book was so-so for me and didn't have the appeal that 'Owned' had. The characters seemed like watered-down versions of their former selves. The story lacked the suspense and intrigue this time around also.

After reading the first book, I remember thinking that it was a little rough around the edges, needing a little more editing and fine-tuning that would certainly happen for the second book. Unfortunately, it didn't. There were many sentences that were missing words, etc. Although I was able to figure it out, it was distracting and took away from the story.

While I was happy to see Ellie and Kayne reunited, even I was wondering when something was going to happen to make the story interesting. The first 70 - 80 percent was focused solely upon their reunion and was pretty uneventful. It was never really believable that Ellie might choose to walk away from Kayne, so why that dragged on for so long is a mystery to me.

Just when you think that there isn't going to be anything happening in the book aside from a play by play account of their kinky reunion sex, there is a huge twist! Yep, the last 20 percent of the book is where things start getting interesting. Then, the author rushes through some pretty major events in a very short span of pages.

I don't know whether the author was under pressure to meet a deadline, or what. The ending felt rushed and honestly, sloppy. For the amount of time and detail that was spent providing a blow-by-blow account of a fight, serious issues, like Ellie's recovery, were barely even addressed. This seemed to be a pattern/theme with this book. A large amount of time and attention was spent focusing on the seemingly mundane elements, while major story elements were dropped in your lap and then skimmed right over. It was kind of anti-climactic.

I did enjoy reading about Ellie and Kayne, even if I had some gripes. Overall, I give it 3 stars. It was okay, but nothing to write home about, in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed.

Quotes Candace Liked

M. Never
“People often rebel against the things that make them vulnerable, while at the same time tempting them like sin.”
M. Never, Claimed

April 5, 2015 – Shelved as: shocking-twists
April 5, 2015 – Finished Reading
April 9, 2015 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
April 9, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-dark-freebies-read

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Alp (new)

Alp Great honest review, Candace. xx

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle Well said, Candace! :D

message 3: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ Fabulous review, hun! xoxo

message 4: by Coco.V (new)

Coco.V Excellent honest review, Candace! :) xx

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Awesome review, Candace! ;)

Candace Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Awesome review, Candace! ;)"

Coco.V wrote: "Excellent honest review, Candace! :) xx"

Steffi wrote: "Fabulous review, hun! xoxo"

Elle wrote: "Well said, Candace! :D"

Alp wrote: "Great honest review, Candace. xx"

Thanks so much, ladies! :) xoxo

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS Super, honest review, Candace! xx

Candace KAS wrote: "Super, honest review, Candace! xx"

Thanks, KAS! :) xoxo

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Great honest review Candace and sorry it wasn't everything you'd hoped xx

Candace Deborah wrote: "Great honest review Candace and sorry it wasn't everything you'd hoped xx"

Thanks, Deborah! :) xoxo