Isabelle's Reviews > Vita Brevis: A Letter to St Augustine

Vita Brevis by Jostein Gaarder

I was very young when I read this book. I actually read it before Sophie's World. It was more than ten years ago but I remember like it was yesterday how amazed I was that Flora never played a victim, the poor thing left alone and rejected. She is always trying to challenge her former partner now an important leader at the Catholic Church, Flora often reminds him of how the past could have been if he showed more compassion, more consideration. If his feelings were a bit more consistent. The fact she used many greek mithology references blew my mind too. I can tell you that this was the very first book by Jostein Gaarder I've ever read and that it made me feel more interested about his other titles. I love the style of his writing, how respectful he can be but at the same time how his character are built in such peculiar ways. Being quick-witted, creative and with a strong personality. Flora Emilia is the example of a strong woman who decided to express her point of view no matter what, even if it hurts to remember painful episodes of her life. Even if it is against the belief of the one she loved long ago. She was devoted to bring light to a determined thought that was not exactly the symbol of progress or advance...to her it was more like a concept of darkness stuck in a world where knowledge was fading away.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vita Brevis.

Started Reading