Edward Lorn's Reviews > Revival

Revival by Stephen King

Forget Cujo and Pet Sematary, or any of his other dark and dreary novels. Revival is Stephen King's bleakest work to date. Mainly because it gives you hope. So much hope. And then it rips that hope, still beating, from your chest.

The title of this novel is literal in several ways. It's a revival of old school King, the King many of us miss. It's about numerous revivals, but naming those would be spoilers, and I refuse to spoil anything about this book. And, last but not least, It has a tent revival within its pages. But I cannot feel as if something inside me has died. Like a fire has been extinguished. I'm sure this feeling will pass. At least I hope it will.

The mastery of language showcased in Revival is simply breathtaking. There are hundreds of quotable lines herein, but one of my personal favorites is quite simple. "Home is where they want you to stay longer." And it's funny, folks, because, for the first time in my life, I wanted a Stephen King book to be longer, so that quote is damn apt. I wanted more time with Jaime before the final descent into darkness. I wanted him to have more time period. Because I knew something terrible awaited this poor man. I wish Jaime Morton could unsee, could unfeel, everything he goes through. But the damage is irrevocable.

If you have any humanity, the ending of Revival will bother you deeply. It's not the final scene, it's not any one event, it's the concept. The idea. The unflinching finality. It's not an exclamation point or a question mark, but a precise period. Where many authors will leave the afterlife to the reader's imagination, Stephen King delivers on his promise. There is no what-if. He draws the conclusion in black detail, and you can only sit back, mouth agape, and swallow what he feeds you.

In summation: Revival is a creature born of despair. It nests inside you and breeds. It's insidious. I'm glad to be done with it, but wouldn't have missed the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revival.

Quotes Edward Liked

Stephen King
“People say that where there’s life, there’s hope, and I have no quarrel with that, but I also believe the reverse.
There is hope, therefore I live.”

Stephen King
“All that shit starts in E.”

Stephen King
“Religion is the theological equivalent of a quick-buck insurance scam, where you pay in your premium year after year, and then, when you need the benefits you paid for so—pardon the pun—so religiously, you discover the company that took your money does not, in fact, exist.”

November 11, 2014 – Started Reading
November 11, 2014 – Shelved
page 1
0.25% "This is happening."
November 11, 2014 –
6.0% "Right off the bat this joker has the feel of old school King. Though I loved Mr. Mercedes this is the Stephen King I love. We're in the small town of Harlow at the beginning (which King fans will remember from The Body; the Old Harlow Road) and privy to the mind of a rather likable six year old.\n \n This King fan is one happy kid right now.\n \n Notable names:\n \n Harlow\n Castle Rock"
November 11, 2014 –
13.0% "I'm only 13% done here, but I can already tell you this is going to be way too short. I love this kid. I love the preacher. I don't want anything bad to happen to any of them, and I will not want this book to end. Something dark looms on the horizon, and the dread is making me sick to my stomach.\n \n The electricity theme is interesting and well thought out. I kinda see where this is going, and I'm scared."
November 11, 2014 –
22.0% "And I'm destroyed. That is all."
November 11, 2014 –
32.0% "This might damn well be King's best book since IT."
November 11, 2014 –
39.0% "Stopping for the day before I read this joker in a single day. Also, Kelly told me to slow down..."
November 12, 2014 –
0.0% "Cahrlie Jacobs: "You're cured!"\n Jaime: "I don't give a FORK! Something happened!"\n \n "
November 12, 2014 –
45.0% "F that B-day party, dude. F it right in the A. shivers"
November 12, 2014 –
55.0% "Oh, the bad shit's coming. I can feel it coming."
November 12, 2014 –
58.0% ""Here they were, falling for a story that made Santa and the Tooth Fairy look like gritty realism. He was feeding them shit and they were loving it." Notable names: Jerusalem's Lot Joyland Al Stamper"
November 12, 2014 –
61.0% "Gotta stop to cook breakfast before King causes me to catch a child negligence wrap."
November 12, 2014 –
68.0% "Oy, the tension is ramping up. And I can't even begin to guess how this is gonna end."
November 12, 2014 –
74.0% ""Home is where they want you to stay longer."\n \n The feels, kids, the feels..."
November 12, 2014 –
77.0% "That flashback fucking slayed me."
November 12, 2014 –
82.0% "That did not go how I expected it to. \n \n Time to finish this."
November 12, 2014 –
91.0% "I'm terrified. Fuck-all terrified."
November 12, 2014 –
99.0% "I'm lost. Destroyed. Utterly exhausted. I don't think a work of fiction has ever affected me so entirely. I was there. And I wish I hadn't been, yet I do not regret reading it. How the fuck am I going to review this?"
November 12, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)

Erika How is it? Do I need to read it ASAP?

Edward Lorn Oh, hell yes. So good.

Erika Edward wrote: "Oh, hell yes. So good."

Ooh must get. Thanks!

Nick Pageant Damn, Edward! Amazing review. I can't wait to read this.

Edward Lorn Just... be prepared, Nick. I thought King was blowing smoke up our asses when he said he just wanted to be done with this book, but he wasn't. I'm fucking traumatized.

Nick Pageant Edward wrote: "Just... be prepared, Nick. I thought King was blowing smoke up our asses when he said he just wanted to be done with this book, but he wasn't. I'm fucking traumatized."

Oh, man. I'm such a masochist. You're not dissuading me at all.

Edward Lorn I don't hope to either. Read it. Like yesterday.

Nick Pageant Edward wrote: "I don't hope to either. Read it. Like yesterday."

Gah! I've got so many lined up. Maybe if I just read a chapter...

Edward Lorn Ha! We all know how that sentence ends. :)

(Side note: it feels good to smile again.)

message 10: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Pageant Edward wrote: "Ha! We all know how that sentence ends. :)

(Side note: it feels good to smile again.)"

Okay, it's downloaded. Here I go!

Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read. Great review Ed. Can't wait to get reading this beast.

Edward Lorn Even if you hate it, I can't wait to see what you think. I shall be stalking your updates. :)

Edward Lorn Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read. wrote: "Great review Ed. Can't wait to get reading this beast."

Thanks, ESLR. I hope it works for you like it did me. King can be rather subjective, but this one really did me in.

Yodamom I'm afraid and yet I can't wait to get my hands on it

Erika Excellent review Edward. I
guess I should buy this now huh?

Edward Lorn Yodamom wrote: "I'm afraid and yet I can't wait to get my hands on it"

Keep that fear. It'll help you to get through if you're already afraid.

Edward Lorn Erika wrote: "Excellent review Edward. I
guess I should buy this now huh?"

I always buy King's work in audio, hardcover, and ebook, and then in paperback when they finally release it that way, and I still want to buy this one again.

I know, I have a problem.

Erika Wow ok you're definitely a super fan. And here I thought I was hot shit because I'd read most of his books. ;)

Edward Lorn The audio is for road trips or walks or the gym, the hardcover is for my collection, the ebook is for when my wife's asleep and the light will bother her, and the paperback is for every space in between. :)

message 20: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Pageant Edward wrote: "The audio is for road trips or walks or the gym, the hardcover is for my collection, the ebook is for when my wife's asleep and the light will bother her, and the paperback is for every space in be..."

Wow. That's all I got. Wow.

Yodamom I like the fear it fuels me :D
Edward wrote: "Yodamom wrote: "I'm afraid and yet I can't wait to get my hands on it"

Keep that fear. It'll help you to get through if you're already afraid."

Edward Lorn Nick wrote: "Edward wrote: "The audio is for road trips or walks or the gym, the hardcover is for my collection, the ebook is for when my wife's asleep and the light will bother her, and the paperback is for ev..."

I know, I know. What can I say, I have an addictive personality.

message 23: by Kaisersoze (new) - added it

Kaisersoze Okay, you sold me. I'm in.

Edward Lorn I'd tell you to enjoy, Kaisersoze, but you don't really "enjoy" a book like this.

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ I finished it almost 12 hours ago, and I'm still thinking about it.

Edward Lorn I can't even pick up another book right now, Andrea. I'm stunned stupid. I honestly didn't think King had it in him. Shut me up real quick!

message 27: by Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ (last edited Nov 12, 2014 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ I just finished another book I had been in the middle of and dropped for King. All I could think was what is this crap I'm reading. It so paled in comparison after that mind fuck.

(view spoiler)

Edward Lorn I agree on all accounts.

Reeda Booke Awesome review! I will be getting mine from the library tomorrow and I cannot wait to start reading it.

Edward Lorn Thanks, Reeda. :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* You know...all that shit begins with "E" don't you? :)

Edward Lorn Trust me, I noticed. ;)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Look what just went up on Netgalley..we need this. https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/sho...

message 34: by Erika (last edited Nov 14, 2014 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erika Currently reading. :) (Revival, that is)

Edward Lorn Shelby, that King story is old. That's the one they used for Creepshow. King plays the guy that gets covered in moss and grass after touching a meteorite. Remember that? Also, I'm not a huge fan of the other authors. Well, aside from Simon Clark. He's pretty good.

In other words, I'm not interested, but go for it, :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Edward wrote: "Shelby, that King story is old. That's the one they used for Creepshow. King plays the guy that gets covered in moss and grass after touching a meteorite. Remember that? Also, I'm not a huge fan of..."

Well crap..I thought it was new stuff. I requested it already.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'll learn to actually read the previews on Netgalley! LOL

Edward Lorn Just ask me before you grab something, Shelby. I'll be your guide on these stormy seas. :)

message 39: by Shelby *trains flying monkeys* (last edited Nov 14, 2014 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Edward wrote: "Just ask me before you grab something, Shelby. I'll be your guide on these stormy seas. :)"

My fingers go flipping crazy hitting request. I'm duct taping them right now.

Edward Lorn LOL! I know the feeling, but I've been burned too many times by re-releases from King. He has so many short stories that I forget titles, but I never forget what happened. Also, he changes titles from time to time. Not often, but it has happened.

Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤ Dammit! I got that one. Oh well, at least I can use my Uncle Stevie gif.

Edward, you will be our horror consultant.

Edward Lorn I shall try not to fail you lol

Stuart Reid great review!

Ebony Great review! I've got the book in hand and I don't know how it's possible but you've got me even more excited than before to read this book!

Edward Lorn Awesome, Ebony! Hope you dig it as much as I did. :)

message 46: by Denis (last edited Nov 20, 2014 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denis A very good review. (I am two thirds into it, and so am still 'living' it.)

Edward Lorn Thanks, Denis. :)

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle "I'm lost. Destroyed. Utterly exhausted." This. I've been digesting for a few hours now though I'm certain this book will stay with me a while. Great review!

Edward Lorn Thanks, Michelle. Ten days out and this book is still haunting me.

message 50: by David (new) - rated it 1 star

David Disagree. Maybe his worst novel. Plodding plot. Years pass. BORING and over hyped! And, I love Steven King.

« previous 1