Michael's Reviews > Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

May 08, 2007

it was ok
Read in May, 2007

Dexter is an interesting character. However, Lindsay is not a particularly strong writer. These books would probably work better as pure character studies, because the thriller elements don't work. Everything wrapped up too quickly, and there were some big jumps (Deb and Kyle? I had to go back and look to make sure I hadn't missed a few chapters where they suddenly became attached). I may read the next book this summer just to see what happens with Dexter and Cody, but I hope the story is better next time around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Devoted Dexter.

08/21/2016 marked as: read

Courtney I absolutely agree. I had about 15 pages to go and Dexter was still rambling on about the moon and feeling so obliged to be dearly devoted and help. I wondered how we were going to get the baddie and resolve the issue in for the book to run out of paper. Well easy really - just rug in through with an implausible and ridiculously easy capture of this incredibly slick and evil villain. He was so clever all along only to get caught by two cripples. Ridiculous.

I've written my thoughts in my on review but I agree that the concept is great but the writing is poor and the execution could also be much better. The endings are the most disappointing. Especially after all the respective internal monologue we have to endure when we should be killing and catching baddies.

Chris Eastvedt My biggest complaint about this series is that the author would have us believe that there are potential serial killers lurking around every corner. I mean there's suspension of disbelief, and then there's Dexter.

Tharkun I definitely want to learn more about Cody. I kind of would rather read a book about him and Astor, as a serial killer duo.

Brittany I completely agree! The pacing problems with this book are infinite, and the only really interesting thing IS Cody's plot. I want to see what else will happen with them, but I don't think I could read more books to find out...

message 5: by Nannette (new) - added it

Nannette Serra I dusagree. To each his own. I love this style writing and I like his personal insights into best Cuban restaurants. I think the main character is a great character. A young man trained to serial kill bad guys who would otherwise escape the law! We all wish to see justice done on these scumbags. Unfortunately the TV series took the story in a direction the author didn't want to go so he had to divorce himself from the series. Plus, I like the "dark passenger" aspect and Dexter's inner thoughts as he tries to mentally come to grips with who he is.