C.G. Drews's Reviews > Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2017, paranormal, read-2017, young-adult, autism, read-2019, reread
Read 2 times. Last read December 5, 2018 to January 1, 2019.

Read 2 | January 2019

hi I am practically deceased and this is a ghost of a fury screaming from the grave for absolutely ever. omgggg this book. omg. I'm wildly and intoxicatingly fond of this series (WOULD DIE FOR MARK) and the absolute way it's just captured me??? 10/10 would suffer for The Dark Artifices forever thanks.

My most notable thoughts thru this reread are (besides a general ajfJKALDSFD WHY IS IT PERFECT ON EVERY PAGE) is how much I freaking adore the autistic rep for Ty (it. is. accurate), that I am in a knot about Kieran/Mark and they better end up with Cristina. Both of them ok. How Julian and Emma break and rebuild me. JULIAN, ANXIOUS FATHER OF FOUR. How I feel sorry for...Annabel.

anyway.

I must go now and nOT BREATHE until I finish qoaad.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | June 2017

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT LORD OF SHADOWS IS SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO GOOD. I thought I'd start off the review with like a really emotionally charged sentence of passionate and triumph but ya know what? I CNA'T WRITE THIS REVIEW. I CAN'T. I AM A BROKEN PIECE OF RUIN.
Lady Midnight
IT WAS SO SO SO GOOD.

*wild sobbing*

NOTE: There will be no spoilers for LoS in this review! Or they'll be tagged! Do not fret! However there will be mild spoilers for Lady Midnight, so loooook away now. Ye have been warned.

+ I AM ABSOLUTELY DYING. IT WAS JUST THAT GOOD.
I'm absolute Shadowhunter trash, fyi, in case it was hard to tell. So every book is basically perfection, but I think the Lady Midnight series has just taken it up a notch. I can't eeeeeven with how beautiful and diverse and thoughtful and poignant it all is. The humour is A+ and I snort laugh so hard my dog gets offended and leaves the room. And some of the lines just make my heart melt with how perfect they are. It's like the Shadowhunter world understands so so much??? Like what it is to be different. Or struggling. Or lost someone. Or confused. Or filled with so much love it hurts. I JUST. CAN'T. EVEN. IT'S JSUT THAT GOOD.

+ As far as sequels goes? This was immense perfection.
No second book blues here!! I mean, actually yes. But the only thing that is blue is ME. In the FACE. From SCREAMING.
I do think it had a bit of a slow lagging bit around 70% but when the characters are people I 10000% adore, I didn't even mind??!??? Give me all the lowkey scenes as well as the action ones.

+ Plot? DUH YOU KNOW I LOVE IT.
I can't even with how many subplots that fit in allllll together. Like how on EARTH Are there so many Shadowhunter books but everything fits and works and foreshadows (HAR HAR I'M PUNNY) so beautifully and tightly?!?
My favourite plot aspect was soooo totally the Faeries. I LOVE THE FREAKING FAERIES. They're deliciously evil and terrifying and basically my favourite versions of faeries I've read. Also the description for their culture and looks and everything is amazing. A sky full of jewels? Like sure, just let my heart gallop out of my chest for appreciation for the description.

+ And I will NEVER stop cheering with appreciation for the Autism rep!!
Peoples, it is not only thoughtful and complex, it is so so accurate. SO SO ACCURATE. Ty is so precious and I just love how carefully Cassandra Clare weaves in how different his brain is wired and his habits and tics. It's perfect.
Also when Kit appears and is like "Oh Ty's Autistic" and Julian is like "say what" is so precious. <3 It just is the BEST how Julian will do anything for Ty and will help him any way he needs and will not hesitate to get more information, even if it's "Mundane" information and he's technically not supposed to have it. AFJDKSAFLDFJK.
Also Ty's interest in Sherlock is the best.

+ Okay so let's talk about the characters?!? WHAT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR.
I'm just gonna flail. For 900000 years. Let's be real here:
Julian: is so so Slytherin in this book it's kind of scary and I love it.
Emma: I think she has some secret badass magic powers that no one knows about yet?!? I suspect. And I actually appreciated how the book wasn't JUST focused on them so much this time too. And Emma's sass and sarcasm levels GIVE ME LIFE.
Mark: MARK IS MY PRECIOUS CHILD AND MY FAVOURITE AND MARK MARK MARK HE IS THE REASON I LOVE THIS SERIES SO MUCH MY ULTIMATE FAVOURITE CHARACTER NO I WILL NOT USE PUNCTUATION I WILL JUST SHOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE MARK. Although I aggressively ship him na Kieran. Just saying.
Kieran: Who is a Slytherin also and I love him and I know he's messed up and viciously faerie and all that but HE'S PRECIOUS AND I LOVE HIS HAIR.
• Cristina: I like her! She's sweet and kind ... but she's really really perfectly sweet and kind. So kinda boring.
• Ty: I mean OBVIOUSLY you know I love Ty and his ASD rep is spot on. I also love how he and Livvy got to have more action scenes. Because remember how Clary and Jace were ONLY 15 TOO when they destroyed the world?! Let the babies out!!
Livvy: I do wish she had more time on the page doing stuff. She's so sweet and protective of Ty but I don't erally know her personality?
Dru: same with Dru. IDK.
• Kit: OKAY MR. CHRISTOPHER HERONDALE IS MY FAVOURITE. He is soooo a mini-Jace! He's also a huge thief, adorable, hugely sarcastic, loves to get into a fight if needed, and super sweetly lovely to Ty. And just the fact that he does his best to cater to Ty's needs and be there for him is just afkdlsafdjkl. #ship
• Magnus: is here in a burst of glitter and narcissism and I love him. Also love how Alec and the kids are in here! Also love that one of his baby's is blue and therefore probably also the child of Lazlo Strange. Excuse me.
Zara: I wish to would fall off a cliff.
Perfect Diego: he can join Zara on the cliff.
Annabel: Is terrifying, dead, and excellent. <3 She has such severe PTSD and I kind of hate her but also think she needs to be protected.
• Arthur: Why (view spoiler)
• Diana: I LOVED finding out Diana's backstory! Although lowkey think her romance with Gwyn was kind of boring/distracting from MY PRECIOUS BLACKTHORN BOYS.

....yeah, um, okay I'll stop gushing over characters. If you insist.

+ ROMANCE.
Okay so obviously Julian x Emma are an AMAZING ship of angst. And I appreciate that their level of angst didn't swallow the book. I hate hate hate the love triangle with Mark x Kieran x Cristina. Mostly because i FREAKING LOVE MARK X KIEREN and Cristina is boring. I also think Cristina only likes Mark because he's a fearie and she's obsessed with faeries?!? So that's not fair?!? I'm soooo glad Kieran features more in this one.

+ Cliffhanger?? Haha...you didn't want...to be calm...ever again...did you.
JFAKDLFAJDSKLJ AKLFSJDAKL JFKDASL THE CLIFFHANGER AJDKFLASDJFAKLDJ.
WHY ARE WE NOT GETTING THE 3RD BOOK FOR 2 YEARS WHAT IS THIS MADNESS. WHATEVER DID WE DO TO DESERVE THIS.

+ SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING:
(view spoiler)

+ Perfect book is perfect.
There is no other word for it.

Help.

I am so wildly in love with this series.

***** QUOTES *****

Mark had a smile that could break your heart. It seemed to take up his whole face and brighten his eyes, firing the blue and gold from inside.
"A strange evening, forsooth," he said.
"Don't you forsooth me."

"You really think that's such a good idea?" Kit said. "I mean, your house is pretty screwed up, what with your agoraphobic uncle and your weird brother."
Julian's hands tightened on the wheel, but the onyl thing he said was, "Ty isn't weird."
"I meant Mark," said Kit. There was an odd pause. "Ty isn't weird," Kit added. "He's just autistic." (pg. 63)

"Did you find something?"
"Have you ever wanted a really close-up look at a gross tentacle?" Emma asked.
"No," said Cristina.
"No one ever seems to say yes to that question."

Maybe he could frustrate the Shadowhunters by refusing to work out and sitting around eating carbs. I defy you, Shadowhunters, he thought, thumbing the top off the container and popping a cookie in his mouth. I mock you with my sugar cravings.

"Morning is probably in just a few hours. And if we don't have Energy runes, we'll have to get our energy the old-fashioned way."
Mark looked puzzled. "Drugs?"
"Chocolate," Emma said. "I brought chocolate. Mark, where do you even come up with these things."

"Who would ever want movies or TV when there are books?" said Ty with disdain.

#preach

"Magnus Bane," said Barnabas, with clear loathing. "The Ultimate Traitor."
"Not my favourite nickname," Magnus said, gently wriggling his fingers in Barnabas's direction. "I prefer 'Our Lord and Master' or maybe 'Unambiguously the Hottest'."

Kit didn't say anything -- he rarely complained. Mark suspected he was silently plotting to get even instead, possibly with everyone he'd ever met.

"I am so ready to hunt down those tiny adorable creatures and give them what for," said Emma. "SO READY."
"Emma..."
"I may even tie bows on their heads."
"WE have to interrogate them."
"Can I get a selfie with one of them first?"
"Eat your toast, Emma."

"Lex malla, lex nulla," said Julian with a regretful wave of his hand. It was the Blackthorn family motto: A bad law is no law.
"I wonder what other family mottoes there are," Emma mused. "Do you know any?"
"The Lightwood family motto is 'We mean well'."
"Very funny."
Julian looked over at her. "No, really, it actually is."
"Seriously? So what's the Herondale family motto? 'Chiseled but angsty'?"
HE shrugged. "'If you don't know what your last name is, it's probably Herondale'?"
Emma burst out laughing. "What about Carstairs?" she asked, tapping Cortana. "'We have a sword'? 'Blunt instruments are for losers'?"
"Morgernstern," offered Julian. "'When in doubt, start a war'?"
"How about 'Has even one of us ever been good, like ever, seriously'?"

"Why don't you just throw the sandwich?"
She looked horrified. "And give up the tasty cheese? I would never, ever give up the tasty cheese."

"I had never realised before how much you can take from someone by not allowing them the words they need to describe themselves. How can you know there are other people like you, when you've never had a name to call yourself?"

Emma set down her fork with a clang. "Pretentious hair prince is right."
Kieran blinked. "What did you call me?"
"I'm trying it out," Emma said, with a wave. "And I said you were right. Enjoy it, because I doubt I'll say it again."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Shadows.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Fiction is truth, even if it is not fact. If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die.”
Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows

November 10, 2014 – Shelved
November 10, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
June 14, 2017 – Started Reading
June 14, 2017 –
page 20
2.86% "It's been out for what??? 2 weeks??? AND I'VE ALREADY BEEN SPOILED. Look there's never an okay time to drop untagged spoilers, ok. Don't be that lettuce we all wish didn't exist.

SOMETIMES I HATE THE INTERNET.

*ragged breathing* Ok but here we go."
June 15, 2017 –
page 289
41.34% "my hyperventilating fangirl thoughts so far:

• it shall need more than 5 stars
• Kieren x Mark are still my ship omg
• Ty's autism is 50000% accurately represented
• Julian is actually Slytherin and do not fight me on this
• Kit is eating cookies just to spite the shadowhunters love of fitness
• im in love
• terrifying dark faeries <3"
June 15, 2017 –
page 394
56.37% ""And if we don't have Energy runes, we'll have to get our energy the old-fashioned way."
Mark looked puzzled. "Drugs?"

I love Mark so much I think my heart exploded."
June 16, 2017 –
page 577
82.55% ""Magnus Bane. The Ultimate Traitor."
"Not my favourite nickname. I prefer 'Our Lord and Master' or maybe 'Unambiguously The Hottest'."

Every scene with Magnus is a blessing to this universe."
June 16, 2017 –
page 698
99.86% "MY BOOK APPEARS TO BE MISSING PAGES BECAUSE THIS IS NOT HOW IT FREAKING ENDS."
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
December 5, 2018 – Started Reading
December 5, 2018 –
page 50
7.15% "*SCREAMS IN SHADOWHUNTER*

ok reread here we go because qoaad is not in my hands and im suffering"
December 8, 2018 –
page 120
17.17% "ok so heAR ME OUT: The Wicked Powers series is about Ty and Kit, right? and Ty wants Kit to be his Watson. and Kit calls Ty beautiful every third chapter
so
we are clearly going to get the Sherlock/Watson Shadowhunter fanfic ship canon combo the world has asked for 😌bless"
December 18, 2018 –
page 481
68.81% "aaaaand my copy of qoaad fINALLY arrived but I'm not finished the reread and I'm distraught here. DISTRAUGHT.

*commences eternal scream*"
December 19, 2018 –
page 501
71.67% "i ask for only very small things like (1) kieren/mark/cristina to be together all three, and (2) me to remember all the ancestors names and lineage and meaning without whispering "who the heck" all the time"
December 30, 2018 –
page 654
93.56% "I think thinking "hey if i do not finish this reread then the ending might change!!!" and I am 10/10 sure my logic will work out here"
January 1, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
January 1, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
January 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Vintage (new)

Vintage For a second I thought it said The Dark Orifices .

message 2: by Sara (Alicorn Feathers) (last edited Jun 17, 2017 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (Alicorn Feathers) (view spoiler)

And you're so right about the best version of fairies. I've never really thought about it, but the Shadowhunter fairies are so interesting and dark and amazing.

message 3: by Mic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mic THE CHILD OF LAZLO STRANGE HA <3 Love this whole review!

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ari Oh my god this makes me want to read the book so badly!! Amazing review, as usual!

Prabh⚔ I LOVE YOUR REVIEW SO MUCH AND I AM SO HAPPY TO FINALLY FIND A PERSON WHO SHIPS MARK AND KIERAN BLESS YOU CAIT <33333333333333333333

Meital Lol!!!! The blue baby also Lazlo stranges child 😂😂

Zara What an awesome review! I want to read Lord of Shadows now.

C.G. Drews @SaraWithoutTheH: hey can you please edit your comment and use the actual spoiler tags??? I got spoiled for this book adn it's SO disappointing to accidentally fall on spoilers.

@Mic: ISN'T HE JUST THOUGH? I KNOW HE IS.

@Ari: JFASKDLAD I HOPE YOU DO!

C.G. Drews @Prabhleen: THEY ARE THE SHIP OF ALL SHIPS. THEY ARE MY #1 SHIP EVEN OVER JULES/EMMA. (Do they even have a ship name?? I vote for Meiran. Or Shadowfaerie. :D)

@Meital: I'm sure Lazlo put his child down somewhere and BOOM, Magnus adopted.

@Zara: You shoooould!! And than you! :D

fatima♐ Do you have any theories? (view spoiler)

Angel - Angel Reads I just posted my review today for this and yes to everything that you said. I am still reovering.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Fatima: (view spoiler)

@Angel: *cries with you with all the intense feels*

fatima♐ Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Fatima: [spoilers removed]

@Angel: *cries with you with all the intense feels*"

IFKR

Prabh⚔ @Cait of course they beat Jemma without a question like??? their ship name is Kierark haha :)

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Prabhleen: Seriously?!? That's like impossible to say haha.

Haadiya // Hiatus (view spoiler)

ellie You got it SO PERFECTLY I swear. Took the words right out of my brain

Britney Dillon My favorite part of this review: Max is the secret love child of Lazlo Strange.

Britney Dillon Also, can we talk for a minute about the possibility of Clary dying???

Simona I LOVE THIS REVIEW. You probably wrote it forever ago but I just missed LoS so here we are xD I LOVE MARK TOO LIKE MY BABY. AND I FEAR FOR TY. Like for real my heart is breaking for my poor baby. 2 YEARS THO. I cannot. The quotes are perfection 😍😍 my favourite one in this book was "Break my heart. Break it in pieces. I give you permission." I was sobbing and happy simultaneously ??? Like I'm still consumed by the feels 😭😭😭😭

Hailey Hudson I AM SO HERE FOR THIS REVIEW

Joie de Livre Great review and msskaisowow justmskakwkq

Nadia Awadi your review is so so long. but also so so so good.

message 24: by Abru (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abru Pacheco SO GOOD REVIEW . I LOVE THE SERIES TOO JUST P E R F E C T

Katherine its just so gratifying to read my exact feelings on someone else's review!!!

Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks) I'm looking forward to your updates on QoAaD because I finished it a few weeks ago now BUT I'M NOT EMOTIONALLY OVER IT.