Allie's Reviews > The Pindar Diamond

Jul 06, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, italy, historical-fiction, 2010-reads
Read from August 05 to 08, 2010

Thanks Goodreads for the FirstReads win!

This is quite a story in a small book. A story of passion, love, loss, betrayal, mermaids, giants, magic, gambling and a priceless diamond. It all seemed a little far fetched at times, like a fable or tall tale.

Hickman kept me reading though, quite a mystery. I think if I had read The Aviary Gate first then perhaps I would have been more attached to the characters? I did want to yell at them sometimes for acting quite silly.

I enoyed this book, but everything seemed a little much and I never got attached to the characters. I enjoyed the setting of Venice, with the canals and alleyways. Good light easy read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pindar Diamond.

08/05/2010 page 16
6.0% "Started reading this last night. I was wanting something a little bit lighter... Started off quite interesting."
08/07/2010 page 85
30.0% ""'I've heard it tell that this diamond has many properties: that the stone, freely given, gives great protection to the wearer; that it does great good for the good man - but that quite the opposite is true for the bad.'"" 2 comments
08/08/2010 page 228
79.0% "A pretty good mystery going on, but I def feel as if I have missed out on some of the story because I have not read The Aviary Gate. I am having a hard time putting it down now that it is close to the end." 1 comment

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Ooh, congrats. Must go and see if I won as well.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Bruno so jealous!!! can't wait to see your review!

Tara Chevrestt I thought the contest didn't end till 2011. I pulled out cause I was gonna just buy it rather than wait a year for a contest to end.. What's the deal?

Allie Since its free I will have no problem passing it on when I am finished... I will keep yall updated..

Tara Chevrestt I'm trying to win it on LT now.. BUT considering my last three wins were one or two stars, I doubt I will have any luck. I would be happy to swap something for it. Only if Misfit and Amy don't want it tho. I'm kinda mad. I thought that contest didn't end till 2011. If it was a typo, it was a huge mistake. Grrr.

message 6: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit I'll be more than happy to swap off my copy, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. The library holds are going to take over again :)

Tara Chevrestt LOL. I know how that is. I always read the library books first even if they not due back anytime soon. Someone else may want to read them.