Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia

One Plastic Bag by Miranda  Paul

Nov 10, 2014

bookshelves: making-changes, multicultural, younger-readers

I was so excited to see this book, and I'm pleased I was given an opportunity to review it. One Plastic Bag is the story of a young woman who sees a problem and decides to make a difference. The story and art are simple yet effective and can be used to lead discussions among audiences young and old.

Last year my students had an environmental ASE project for our school. I decided to participate and turned plastic bags into plarn, or plastic yarn, just as Isatou Ceesay does in this book. I crocheted purses and shopping bags out of discarded plastic bags that would have ended up in the landfills. This book excites me because the next time I do this project with students, I'll have this book to read with them. Not only does it show how damaging plastic bags can be to the environment, but creative ways to solve the problem. And a bonus, it empowers young girls to make changes even when everyone else laughs or says they can't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Plastic Bag.

Started Reading